Problem with replacement Main Spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kleared2land

Problem with replacement Main Spring

Post by kleared2land »

Hi, I am a new member. I recently purchased a P64 in beautiful condition with 2 magazines. Based on info from this web site, I ordered a 17 lb mainspring from Wolf Gun Springs. I took it to the range this past weekend, and while the gun fires great in single action, double action is not working. It appears the hammer isn't coming back all the way, and doesn't hit the primer hard enough to fire the round. Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

Fred
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Problem with replacement Main Spring

Post by juniustaylor »

Some folks report that the 17# spring does not work that well with hard primers... depending on what ammo you are using. I personally use the 17# with double action and it has worked every time. All guns are different though. With the single action you are getting a longer stroke (more momentum). Double action does not allow the hammer to come back as far, make sense? You may have to order a 19#.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

If you read through these forum pages, you'll find the 18lb main spring is commonly suggested. That Is what I have on mine and it works great. Wolff sells the hammer spring pack (18, 19, & 20lb) for $9, either get the pack and experiment to see what works best on your gun, or just go with the 18lb one and it should work fine.

Weasel
kleared2land

Post by kleared2land »

thanks for the info. I went ahead and order the spring pack with the 18, 19, and 20 pound springs. I'll start with the 18 lb, and if that does not work, I'll work my way up until it is reliable. By the way, the ammo I used was Fiocchi. I don't know if they use a hard primer or not.

Fred
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Fred
Fiocchi is great ammo and doesn't have harden primers, mostly steel cased has hard primers,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage