Hard time releasing mags

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Arik

Hard time releasing mags

Post by Arik »

SO I just got my P64 and cleaned the cosmoline out of it (as much as I could) But the megs seem to not want to go in or come out. The mag that is numbered to the gun is easier to put in or pull out but the second one I have to jam in and use a screwdriver to pull out.

Is this normal? Is there a fix or did I miss something?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hard time releasing mags

Post by dfunk »

No, this is not normal. While mine don't spring out like other modern autoloaders, they don't take any real effort to pull them.
The first obvious question is have you inspected the magwell? If there is no apparent blockage/burs/etc, then you might look to see if there are any scratches on your mags where they may be rubbing going in and out, indicating a high spot in the well or on the mags. A photo may be helpful, too.
Arik

Post by Arik »

I did inspect the magwell. Seems normal to me. Nothing that looks like it would cause the mag to stick. I tried pushing the mag release out of the way to see if maybe it sticks to far in. Results were the same. The mags do look like they have rub marks going top to bottom of the mags. Both seem to be mainly on the back of the mags. The original mag isnt too bad But the second one I have to force in.

I'll take pics tomorrow morning. My camera is at work
boomer

Post by boomer »

You need to remove the grips. After cleaning the mag well good with kerosine you will see 3 ribbed striations on the inside of the grips that act as a mag guide. These have beome swollen by cosmoline infiltration. Carefully sand these ribs down until you mags drop free as the same when the grips are off. Carefully sand down just the ribbed mold striations only. A little patients and your mags will be dropping free just fine.

Boomer :hi:
Arik

Post by Arik »

I took some pics just in case but boomer you might be right about the grips. I had a few minutes before people started filing in at work. I took the grips off and when I would insert the mag it went in nice and smooth and dropped free. I sanded it a just a little, thats all I had time for, and the mag did seem to go in and come out a little easier. Also is there such a thing as over tightening?

Going to sand it some more when I get home and test with the other mag. The one that barely works
boomer

Post by boomer »

There is always such a thing as over tightning. You just want the screw snug and that's all. It is a very small screw and nut and can be damaged very easy.

Just keep sanding away at the grip ribs and your problem will be solved for ever. My mags pop right out when you hit the release and that the way they were designed to work.

That 30 year old polystyrene plastic just absorbs cosmoline like a sponge and that is the only problem.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

I had the same problem. I took the grips off and cleaned it all out. Also your grips screw may be to tight.
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by piaggior »

I overtightened my grips the first couple of times I removed them. I backed the screw off a thread, and mags fit perfect again.
robalan

Post by robalan »

piaggior wrote:I overtightened my grips the first couple of times I removed them. I backed the screw off a thread, and mags fit perfect again.
I did the same thing on my Sig P232 when I put laser grips on it. If you find you really want those grips on tighter you could file the screw down to make it a little shorter.