P-64 Spring Projectile Distances

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Gregori

P-64 Spring Projectile Distances

Post by Gregori »

Whilst replacing the slide stop spring yesterday I managed to launch that sucker clear across my garage and ricoche' it off the other wall...a distance of some 30'. Managed to locate it with the help of a very powerful spotlight and getting on my hands and knees to do a grid search.
I then took the advise of some on this board to do my assembly in a plastic bag so as to catch any P-64 spring projectiles. I was also thinking it might be a good idea to wear eye protection during assembly/disassembly of this fine pistol. I have had metal imbedded in my eye before (not from a firearm) and it is no fun.
Just curious...what are some of your P-64 spring launch stories and downrange distances achieved?
jamestday

Re: P-64 Spring Projectile Distances

Post by jamestday »

Well this is more a story about not launching, but I guess might still qualify.

After reading the boards I knew I didn’t want to disassemble my P64 without some method to control projectile parts. Tried the ‘put it in a plastic bag’ trick, but found that difficult.

So I decided to over-engineer. I took a cardboard box about 2.5’x2.5’x8” – cut off the top flaps. Cut an opening on one side about 5”x12” w/ rounded ends. Next I glued in some white foam liner to the bottom. Then I used window film over the top– the kind you put on w/ tape then heat w/ a hair dryer to tighten. Next used some 4” wide rubber exercise bands glued and taped over the side hole so they overlapped.

Now I have an enclosed box that I can see into from the top. I stick the gun, tools, parts, ect in through the hole on the side then stick my hands inside. The rubber bands close around my arms. The Window film over the top is perfectly clear so it’s easy to see what you’re doing inside the box and you have enough room to dissemble and lay out the tools and parts inside the enclosure.

During my disassembly more than one spring or pin hit the side of the box. Made me glad I took the time to over-engineer.

When my friends saw my contraption, they all thought it was quite amusing – comments referencing Tim the Tool Man and Red Green (http://www.redgreen.com) were used. I’m saving those up for when they spend an hour looking for something that launched from one of their gun 8) .
boomer

Post by boomer »

Ah yes, the gunsmith crawl. I have enjoyed many hours of it myself.
tomline

Post by tomline »

In my shop, it's not distance that counts; it's the number of surfaces the spring or pin ricochets off of. Of course hitting the cat counts extra.

Just curious...what are some of your P-64 spring launch stories and downrange distances achieved?[/quote]
45collector

Post by 45collector »

First time I took my P64 apart the safety detent and spring launched into the stratosphere. I was sitting on my bedroom floor which is a thick black oriental rug. It only took a few minutes to find the spring and detent (which had stayed together), they were right behind me! Still can't believe they weren't lost forever.
stover

Post by stover »

Last week I lost control of the floor plate of a Tokarev Magazine. The spring hit behind the top of my peg board and was easy enough to find laying under my work bench. I spent 2 hours searching for the inner floor plate.
Finally gave up and asked the wife for help. Took her 2 seconds to spot it. Sticking our of a piece of insulation at the base of the roof about 10' above the area I had combed for 2 hours.
I wish I was as good at not shooting small parts across the room as she is at finding the dang things. :evilgrin: