Gun Blueing With Airbrush

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robalan

Gun Blueing With Airbrush

Post by robalan »

I recently ordered an airbrush to play with. Some of the folks at the site have mentioned they are reblueing their P64. Mine could sure use it. Has anyone tried using an airbrush? If so, please give some details. Also, did you have any problem cleaning the airbrush for other uses after using it for blueing. Thanks for your help.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Gun Blueing With Airbrush

Post by normsutton »

robalan

with paint yes

with blueing NO WAY

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robalan

Post by robalan »

Thanks, I don't know much about airbrushes or blueing and I didn't want to mess the new airbrush up. The gun looks bad enough right now and I didn't want to do a lot of work and end up with it looking worse.

I found two blueing sets on sale. One has liquid blueing and the other has a paste for blueing. I would think the liquid is more conventional and may be easier to apply evenly. Do you know? I heard the paste lasts longer, but I am wondering if the liquid may be easier to work with.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Gun Blue is actually a powerful corrosive, Selenium Dioxide or Selenious Acid and should never be placed in a air brush. Not only is not good for the air brush it not good for your lungs either. It should only be applied by the manufacturers instructions.
robalan

Post by robalan »

I found a site that has some information, www.birchwoodcasey.com. It does look like you probably should not use regular blueing in an airbrush. However, Birchwood Casey came up with a special formula. They sell a set including the airbrush for under seventy dollars. You can buy the special formula blueing without buying the set, but it does cost a lot more than the regular blueing. I will have to give it some thought which way to go.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

robalan

this is a paint not a bluing, you can get a better finish with with ceramic heater paint and bake the finish on , 8 dollars a can at any auto parts store and bake it on in your stove , I have severall 45 autos I done this way

Perma Fin™ Professional Air Cure Gun Finish Kit - Black Satin
PERMA FIN is a single-component, water-based polyurethane resin liquid, making it an easy product to apply and clean up. No mixing of components like other 2-part coatings, and no harsh chemicals to clean up after its use. PERMA FIN has an excellent adhesion to metal firearms surfaces, but also to plastic and rubber surfaces. PERMA FIN can be applied in two ways. Apply by airbrush for best results. Can also be applied with a fine-bristled painter's brush. Apply several light coats to obtain a long lasting, durable finish on all gun metal surfaces. Best yet, no baking required; simply air cure! Use the 3 oz bottle if you have your own airbrush or as a refill for the kit.
Kit includes:
2-3 oz bottles Perma Fin
1 airbrush with accessories (compressor not included)
1 pair of vinyl gloves
1 abrasive sanding pad

Product # Description Price Order
15301 -PFK PERMA FIN Professional Air Cur Gun Finish Kit - Black Satin $64.40
15325 -PFBS PERMA FIN Professional Air Cure Gun Finish $16.10

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robalan

Post by robalan »

normsutton wrote:robalan

this is a paint not a bluing, you can get a better finish with with ceramic heater paint and bake the finish on , 8 dollars a can at any auto parts store and bake it on in your stove , I have severall 45 autos I done this way

Perma Fin™ Professional Air Cure Gun Finish Kit - Black Satin
PERMA FIN is a single-component, water-based polyurethane resin liquid, making it an easy product to apply and clean up. No mixing of components like other 2-part coatings, and no harsh chemicals to clean up after its use. PERMA FIN has an excellent adhesion to metal firearms surfaces, but also to plastic and rubber surfaces. PERMA FIN can be applied in two ways. Apply by airbrush for best results. Can also be applied with a fine-bristled painter's brush. Apply several light coats to obtain a long lasting, durable finish on all gun metal surfaces. Best yet, no baking required; simply air cure! Use the 3 oz bottle if you have your own airbrush or as a refill for the kit.
Kit includes:
2-3 oz bottles Perma Fin
1 airbrush with accessories (compressor not included)
1 pair of vinyl gloves
1 abrasive sanding pad

Product # Description Price Order
15301 -PFK PERMA FIN Professional Air Cur Gun Finish Kit - Black Satin $64.40
15325 -PFBS PERMA FIN Professional Air Cure Gun Finish $16.10

NORM
Thanks Norm, I have seen several pictures of your guns and they look really good. Those grips look great too!
boomer

Post by boomer »

Norm, please tell me more about that Ceramic bake on paint. Now you have captured my interest. The metal finish on my CZ 82 was poor after I stripped it and I had to work like a rented mule to get it good enough for a blueing. I just acquired another and don't want to go though that again.

Thanks

Boomer
robalan

Post by robalan »

boomer wrote:Norm, please tell me more about that Ceramic bake on paint. Now you have captured my interest. The metal finish on my CZ 82 was poor after I stripped it and I had to work like a rented mule to get it good enough for a blueing. I just acquired another and don't want to go though that again.

Thanks

Boomer
Norm, I was thinking along the same lines. It seems like you would not have to remove the old blueing - just clean and ruff the surface - then paint. I read that someone heats the surface before blueing. Is that done before using the paint as well?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Almost any sort of surface treatment is better to be put on heated metal. It allows the pores in the metal to open up which would positively affect the affect of bluing or the adhesion of a baked on paint.
boomer

Post by boomer »

A propane torch of even a hair dryer can make a world of difference. It only has to be warm to the touch. If you can't hold it, it id too hot!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Hair dryers are highly effective. Just set it up somewhere next to your work area and turn it on. You can use both hands to work with, you don't have to hold onto the dryer. I have used Van's Instant Gun Blue, Birchwood-Casey Perma-Blue, Birchwood-Casey Super Blue, and Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. IMO the Oxpho-Blue has beat them all hands down. It's much easier to work with, you don't have to use gun oil or water to neutralize the chemical action. Use a cotton ball or a cotton cloth. Some don't recommend you use a cotton ball due to the lanolin in it (Van's Instant Blue) since that can neutralize the chemical. I normally use steel wool with the blue solution on it and rub up and down the metal article good. This does a couple things, preps the surface, removes any rust, removes oil.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Yeah JT, I just ordered some Oxpho-Blue from Brownells. The shipping cost 10 bucks because of the Haz Mat regulations. These tree hugging liberals just love to bust gun owner chops.

You might want to try Black Magic from Kleen Bore or G 96 Paste both are very aggressive. You will have rust in seconds with the Black Magic.

As a point of interest, Wal Mart is no longe selling Birchwod Casey gun care products because they don't want to pay the Haz Mat fees. Maybe when it is made in China they will start again....LOL.

I found a big supply of 0000 grade steel wool at Lowes Home Improvement in the paint department. My wife thought I was nuts going Gah Gah over steel wool.

I like the torch thing for warm up. A freind and Navy buddy of mine who builds custom 1911's just got a tig welder and he actually repaired a frame of a Remington Rand that Kaboomed The barrel was toast but he saved the frame. This kid is a gunsmith and a half.

Would you believe between the two of us we can't come up with a shotgun BB front sight. We have been digging in our junk boxes for two days now. I mean we have probably put on more Fiber Optic sights for people and just throw the brass BB in the junk box.

Later Guy, Stay safe!

Boomer
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm glad one of the indoor shooting ranges around here sells the Oxpho-Blue. That is crazy that it is considered Haz-Mat. I never would have guessed. What is wrong with folks anymore, tree hugging hippies I guess like you said. Guess that's why I haven't seen any of the Birchwood Casey cold blue at Wal-Marts. I just figured they quit selling it just because. Interesting. Hopefully you'll come up with a shotgun sight eventually boomer. I got one for a Mossberg, brass one, but that sure doesn't help you out any.
robalan

Post by robalan »

Thanks everyone!! There was lots of good information given. A few months ago I bought a heat gun (paint stripper) and I think that should work well. If you ever have a home improvement project go a little bad and end up with wet drywall, it works great for that too. :D