Gun Blueing With Airbrush

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
boomer

Re: Gun Blueing With Airbrush

Post by boomer »

robalan wrote:Thanks everyone!! There was lots of good information given. A few months ago I bought a heat gun (paint stripper) and I think that should work well. If you ever have a home improvement project go a little bad and end up with wet drywall, it works great for that too. :D

Ouch, I hope that was not a Plumbing Job... :shock:
robalan

Post by robalan »

boomer wrote:
robalan wrote:Thanks everyone!! There was lots of good information given. A few months ago I bought a heat gun (paint stripper) and I think that should work well. If you ever have a home improvement project go a little bad and end up with wet drywall, it works great for that too. :D

Ouch, I hope that was not a Plumbing Job... :shock:

Yes, it sure was. It did not turn out real bad. I replaced a tub drain on the second floor. There was some leaking at first which became apparent on the first floor. I made 3 or 4 small holes to drain it fast. Then I started using a hair drying at first. That was going real slow so I went out and bought the heater gun. After I was sure the drain was not going to leak anymore I fixed the small holes and repainted.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I Dura Coated mine with an airbrush never heard of blueing one with an air brush though. I'm not saying that you cant do it.
boomer

Post by boomer »

I don't think spaying a corrosive acid in a air brush is a good idea. Cold Blueing can be done real easy with with 4 or five applications and a polish with 0000 steel wool between coats. if you prep the metal with 800 o5 1500 wet/dry sand paper it will come out like glass.
robalan

Post by robalan »

blinddog wrote:I Dura Coated mine with an airbrush never heard of blueing one with an air brush though. I'm not saying that you cant do it.
I looked at the Dura Coating. It looks neat, lots of colors to pick. Have you had good luck with it? Will it cover up blemishes like you would expect paint to do? Will there be any problem with gun markings being covered up?

The other product I was looking at, Birchwood Casey Perma Fin is not a paint according to Birchwood Casey. And they pointed out it will not hide flaws in metal surfaces. It will not fill in engraving or gun markings.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

You really need to bring in down to bare metal before Dura Coating. You can repair minor wear spots with Dura Coat if your gun is already Duracoated. All in all I think it is a good process for any gun unless you want to keep it looking origional.
robalan

Post by robalan »

blinddog wrote:You really need to bring in down to bare metal before Dura Coating. You can repair minor wear spots with Dura Coat if your gun is already Duracoated. All in all I think it is a good process for any gun unless you want to keep it looking origional.
The color selection is very good with the Dura Coat. I want most my guns to be the regular gun blue, but my goddaughter is getting into shooting and I may try that Bronx Rose or Pink on one of my 22 pistols for her.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

It doesn't take a large air compressor to use an airbrush, however, it does take a larger one to do bead blasting or sand blasting to clean your pistol.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

regarding Wally World not selling Birchwood casey gun blueing solution, I just bought a bottle of Birchwood casey Perma Blue at Wally world this past week to finish my sight mod's project.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.