New Member - New P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
tbone

New Member - New P64

Post by tbone »

Greetings! :)

I just purchased my first P64 a few days ago (J&G $159 + $10 handpick "Very good plus") and would like comments/suggestions regarding a ding and chamber wear that I noticed.

Is this normal wear? Is it safe? I believe it was caused by feeding issues, possibly use of steel cases? The rest of the gun is OK, some minor bluing wear on the front of the slide and the frame by the hammer. I was happy until I noticed the ding and wear on the chamber.

I'm thinking of returning it - haven't shot it yet. Has anyone returned a pistol to J&G after it's been shot?

Would greatly appreciate advice on whether or not to return the pistol.

Regards!
dom

New Member - New P64

Post by dom »

T- Welcome to the forum, glad you joined up!
I'm the Z man on the other forum, and hope you don't mind, but i already posted the same question here yesterday. Hopefully between us we'll get enough feedback to clear things up.
viewtopic.php?t=3042
Dom
fritzhund

New Member - New P64

Post by fritzhund »

Personally I would send that one back.

Maybe Norm will see this and comment, but I would not have it.

I may be a bit jaded as every P-64 I have owned has been an original TN Guns import and was mint unfired when I got it. I also take extremely good care of all of my firearms.

Just my humble opinion, but I would worry about that one.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
stover

New Member - New P64

Post by stover »

I'd call and send a copy of that picture to J&G and ask how they would like to handle it. That chamber is just ugly.
tbone

New Member - New P64

Post by tbone »

Thanks for the input - it is much appreciated!

Dom - no problem at all, glad for the help with this!

I plan to send a copy of the photo to J&G on Monday, then call and see what they say.............

Too bad, the pistol cleaned up really nice.

I haven't been able to find any other examples of this kind of wear on either forum, but I missed Dom's post entirely. I just wonder if this type of wear is typical for this weapon?
kurremkarm

New Member - New P64

Post by kurremkarm »

I picked one up from a guy on this forum-- i wanted a specific year-- anyways he got his gun there and paid the 10 bucks for hand picked and it is in very very good condition including the bluing.

Since everyone should probably have a spare pistol since there are no parts-- perhaps they would give you some of your money back and you could just order another one from them?

I would be asking for a substantial price reduction on the first gun.
Last edited by kurremkarm on December 26th, 2009, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
geeorge

New Member - New P64

Post by geeorge »

Personally, I would not shoot that one
tbone

New Member - New P64

Post by tbone »

By the way, since I purchased this pistol thru my FFL, will I have to go thru him to return the pistol to J&G if I decide to do so? Or can I just send it back myself?

Regards,

TBone
kurremkarm

New Member - New P64

Post by kurremkarm »

I believe you can ship it via fedx or ups as long as you are not selling it. Just google shipping guns. Or you can call and ask them.
tbone

New Member - New P64

Post by tbone »

I've asked NORM for his opinion on this, and he replied as follows:

TBone

if you are in doubt send it back, to me it doesn't look to bad I'd polish it out , but I'm not holding it in my hands ,
I don't use steel ammo in any of my guns , so its hard to tell what cause this

NORM
I'm a bit more inclined to keep it, but I've never polished a feed ramp/chamber the way it's described in this forum (i.e. with a dremel tool w/head & polishing compound). I would not want to mess it up any further!

Still unable to find other examples of this type of wear other than that posted by Dom........

Regards!
Last edited by tbone on December 29th, 2009, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigduke6

New Member - New P64

Post by bigduke6 »

just got my p64 on monday, after a close look mine does not have a ding but the blueing is worn off in the same spot ???
tbone

New Member - New P64

Post by tbone »

Well, I sent it back this morning.

I may try again for a nice P64, but not with J&G.

Thanks for the advice and comments, they were much appreciated!

Happy New Year!
Last edited by tbone on December 30th, 2009, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Member - New P64

Post by manicmechanic »

Sorry for not noticing this thread earlier too, with the Holidays it's tough trying to keep up with all the happenings at home let alone here too.
Any ways, I attempted for over an hour trying to get some decent pics of that wall area of mine and kind of gave up, but did get some of the chamber face area, I guess that's what I'll call it anyway. I did talk with Norm for a bit and we both think either a case didn't get extracted and got pinched by the slide and the mouth caused the impression, or possibly a stovepipe occurred and the ridge area caused it when trapped by the slide coming forward. All of mine seem to have some sort of a # stamped into that surface and a little bit of scarring of that edge too. Here's some pics of what I'm referring to. I'll post links to the higher resolution pics if you'd like to see those.
This first one is a 72 round hammer with unknown round count.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02319.jpg
This is my carry 74 w/500+rounds by me on right and a 75 that seems unissued with none fired by me on left.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02320.jpg
Next are two 72 round hammers, right has unknown rounds and left has approx. 250 rounds fired by me.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02321.jpg
Next left to right is 75 unissued, 74 carry, 72 w/approx.250, and 72 w/unknown round count.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02322.jpg
Last is same line up with a look of the wall in question.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02323.jpg
I'm going to post a link to this post in the other thread to kind of bring these together.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Member - New P64

Post by normsutton »

LEO

I suspect that the dents in the middle one are because all cosmoline wasn't out of the cartridge indicator, and was stiff , or it could be because it was too loss like putting a dimple on a primer because of a week firing pin spring

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25 ... C02319.jpg

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Member - New P64

Post by normsutton »

if the neck in it isn't as deep as the extractor cut I wouldn't worry about it , I would just smooth it or just take the sharp edges off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage