FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
heavyduty77

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by heavyduty77 »

I have been using a pocket carry holster for my P-64 and found that the finger rest on the magazine would sometimes catch when drawing the pistol. Also, it tended to make a definite "print" on the outside of the pocket.

To remedy this, I spent a few minutes with a cut-off tool and some sandpaper and modified the bottom of the magazine as shown in the attached photo. The "flat" magazine bottom has resolved both of the issues.

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... Magazines/
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by dfunk »

It looks great and I can definitely see how it would hang up less when pocket carried.

Does it make it a little more difficult to remove the mag? I tend to use the extension to help hook my finger on to pull it out when changing them.
heavyduty77

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by heavyduty77 »

No problem removing it. It pops out enough to easily grab as soon as you hit the release.
donnerwetter58

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I prefer the flat bottom as well.
I cut one mag base leaving it 1/8" thick. Pocket carry is much better. No issues removing the mag.
Of course my pinky is below the grip but it isn't a problem.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by blinddog »

Man, I have small hands and I welcome the base. The way it's made, it really helps me out. I can see if a guy had big hands the base would get in the way.
heavyduty77

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by heavyduty77 »

Blinddog,
I agree with you about the original design magazine bottom. I too definitely prefer shooting with it. However, the reason that I modified the magazine to the flat bottom configuration was to prevent the "snagging" problem I was experiencing when drawing the pistol from my pocket holster (as mentioned, it also reduced the pocket "printing" quite a bit). I only modified the one magazine I use for carry; I have kept the others unchanged. By the way, the protrusion between the middle and ring fingers on the Handall, JR. grip that I installed makes up for the loss of the "tang" removed from the original design.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by blinddog »

I have Dennis grips on all of my guns. His grips cover the base so I don't have a problem with snagging. You might think about getting a set, they really make a pistole look great.
sinbad

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by sinbad »

I too like the flat bottom as I'm used to not having my pinky on a rest (Mustang, P32 etc.) I bought Makarov mag bottoms and did a little Dremelin to it and it works great. That way I can convert back if need be and didn't ruin the stock base. Definitly makes getting the pistol out of the pocket quicker.
paddlingman

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by paddlingman »

Hmmmm... so Mak (PM) mag bottoms work with just a little modification? Is there a source for them other than sacrificing a Mak mag?

Thanks
stover

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by stover »

http://www.buymilsurp.com/magazine-base ... p-453.html

See em on gun broker once in a while too.
sinbad

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by sinbad »

Got mine from Buymilsurp.com there cheap if they have any left...
kurremkarm

FLAT BOTTOM MAGAZINE

Post by kurremkarm »

Do want to say that there is a big difference in control with the original extension as I cut mine off and it makes the thing a bear. Does conceal better.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have cut mine down as the thing is too heavy for pocket carry imo and for iwb it isn't needed.
Last edited by kurremkarm on January 18th, 2010, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.