p-64 firing pin

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
irishbob979

p-64 firing pin

Post by irishbob979 »

Nope - did not know there was a difference - the pin I turned over is from a triangle hammer. So, given this new fact, do you guys want me to stop pursuing this?

Norm, can you provide me the dimension from the face of the spring stop to the end of the pin for both pins?

If the machine shop can do this, a change in length can easily be incorporated into the CNC program provided the only difference is the length from the spring stop. When I was discussing the machining steps with the machinist, he said that he would have to leave a piece of stock on the firing end to aid in holding the piece in place during turn down. He would remove the end after completing the taper. He could probably turn them all to the longest length and then finish them to the desired length.

So, if I had a run of say 50 pins, how many would be round hammer?
7point62fmj

p-64 firing pin

Post by 7point62fmj »

I know in another post Norm says he sees about 50/50 for the diffrent hammers. I dont know if there is a cut off date or not. I personaly have a round one. Not that it matters.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

p-64 firing pin

Post by normsutton »

irishbob979

my round hammers are 47.08 mm
my triangle hammers are 45.85 mm

add 2 mm to 45.85 and should work alright to all guns

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 10th, 2010, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Sgt P

p-64 firing pin

Post by Sgt P »

Irishbob979,
Perhaps you could do a poll and see which type of hammers do many of the members own. I have one of each hammer so I would opt for one firing pin of each lenght, 45.85 mm and 47.08 mm. Man I wish that my Polish military friend had come thru, but he is back serving his country in Afghanistan. Sgt P.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

p-64 firing pin

Post by dfunk »

Naturally we'd give a spot on the website for him to sell them from after they're tested safe.
fritzhund

p-64 firing pin

Post by fritzhund »

8-)

I would be interested as well. Can't hurt to have spares!

Keeping an eye on this thread.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
irishbob979

p-64 firing pin

Post by irishbob979 »

Sounds like a good compromise.

Norm - would there be any possibility of "over penetration" using a longer pin in the round hammers?

As far as "tested safe", it was my intent to range test random batch samples at @ 100 rds. Any other comments or is that over kill? (pun intended)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

p-64 firing pin

Post by normsutton »

irishbob979

I don't think so, the firing pin spring still holds the firing pin back , firing pins don't pierce primers because they are to long ,they pierce primers because the primer cup is to brittle or have bad powder in the case or the firing pin is to sharp

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
7point62fmj

p-64 firing pin

Post by 7point62fmj »

NORM

kind of off topic but I guess this is why you are not a fan of wolf ammo. They use steel primers and this makes them to brittle. In turn they get primers with holes punched in them and in doing so they can destory firing pins.
Is this correct?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

p-64 firing pin

Post by normsutton »

7point62fmj

yes , I seen to many SKS , 9x18 guns . AR -15. 9mm , and 45 autos with burnt firing pins , and blown out extractors from wolf steel cased ammo, most of the other s you can get replacement parts for , but not the P-64, do not know about any AK's

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brock123

p-64 firing pin

Post by brock123 »

So I am not completely off topic I would take one when they are done two if the price was right. Seems like the only thing that fails on a p64 with any regularity from searching the web. But my real question was on ammo. I was about to order some silver bear. Does it burn firing pins like wolf?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

p-64 firing pin

Post by normsutton »

brock123

I never heard of any complaints about silver bear or brown bear, and the only reason a P-64 firing pin has failed is because some one shot Wolff ammo in the gun at some time ,the safety block is the only reason to use snap caps in these , I have seen a few of these crack

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
electro6

p-64 firing pin

Post by electro6 »

Irishbob979, I too would like a couple of firing pins if everything works out with the machinist. Thanks :)
irishbob979

p-64 firing pin

Post by irishbob979 »

Spoke with the machine shop again this afternoon. His CNC operator gave the pin a quick look and said that it was possible but they had a shop issue with one of their machines - they had a tech rep on site so he could not devote too much time today. They will reengage tomorrow. I will have a yes or no on Wednesday.
brock123

p-64 firing pin

Post by brock123 »

Thanks for the info Norm ordered three boxes of SB hp.

Also good luck tomorrow Irish ;-)

Gonna kill me to have to wait until next weekend to go get my pistol from my FFL (2 hour drive one way) should be there tomorrow.