20lb Wolf Recoil Spring, Had to file down the ends

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

I'm not sure if maybe Wollf has made some changes or there's something different about this P-64 I recently picked up. I ordered the 20 pounder instead of the 22 when I ordered a recoil spring with my hammer spring pack because I had decided I'd rather not deal with grinding on the spring. Well, lucky me, i couldn't get the slide back on at all until I did a fair amount of grinding on the ends of the spring. I'm almost wondering if maybe I got a 22 marked as a 20 by mistake. ???

Anyway, it's something to consider if you are ordering the 20 pound spring to save you from having to grind/file. It's no big deal really, i just thought I'd pass along my experience for others.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

What exactly is meant by "grinding on the spring"? You mean the tips of the spring or the whole surface of the coiled ends? TIA
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

The end or "face" of each end of the spring. I have heard it's very common to need to do this to the 22 lb spring but I hadn't seen it mentioned that you need to do this to make the 20 pound one fit.

After filing each end nearly flat I was able to assemble the pistol normally. I have since put a couple boxes of ammo through it and it seems to function flawlessly so far.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

twistedfocus,
Quite a few of us had to do the same think, not to worry, it will work just fine for you. One hypothesis is design modification , improvements, for pistole's that were built in different later years.
G.R.
newbraunfelssteve

Post by newbraunfelssteve »

I received my box of springs from Wolff today. I ordered the Hammer Spring Pack and the 22 recoil pack. now what? Heh.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

newbraunfelssteve

GO HERE TO PUT THEM IN

viewtopic.php?t=1583

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
desertdave

Post by desertdave »

Hi Guys! I followed Norm's instruction to the T on the hammer spring. I used a 19# Wolff and it makes DA tolerable and single action GREAT......Now for the 22# recoil spring. YEP, mine is too long for my 1977 P-64 (triangular hammer). Out to the shop I go.....DesertDave :)