Mag oddity

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Greetings, I am in posession of a like new very accurate P-64 dated 1967. It came with two mags one of which (the one with matching serial#) works perfectly, the other jams and can't even load one cartridge. I ground the bad one to match and now it works fine. I ordered another brand new one and it looks like it will need grinding also. Anyone else run into this? See photos.

[/img]
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Last edited by stan on May 20th, 2009, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
searcher36

Mag oddity

Post by searcher36 »

I just picked up a 1967 dated P-64 yesterday. The one mag numbered to the gun is like your good mag. The other is just like your bad mag. Looks like I'll have to do some grinding too.
Last edited by searcher36 on May 22nd, 2009, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Go slowly, I made a pattern out of a 3x5 card using the good mag and used it to scribe lines on the bad one. Grind a little, try it if nogo grind a little more. You can take it off you can't put it on. Good luck! This is one accurate piece.
searcher36

Mag oddity

Post by searcher36 »

Thanks for the tip stan. I'm wondering why the mags are different.
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

I don't know, I guess we have the only '67s around. ??? Aside from that I think this gun is a beautiful piece of workmanship. I'm not just saying that cuz my name ends in SKI
searcher36

Mag oddity

Post by searcher36 »

They are sweet little pistols. What kind of shape is your 67 in? Mines got some holster wear but not bad.
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Mine is like new, I tried it out last week. This is a target from 7 yards. I think it shoots good enough. Image
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mag oddity

Post by dfunk »

The one that jams looks like it could be aftermarket - look at all the differences between the two - even down to the direction of the springs.
sapo

Mag oddity

Post by sapo »

I have four magazines for my P-64. One that came with the gun like your bottom one, it isn't the same serial number as the pistol, and three more I bought from J&G a few weeks after buying my pistol like your magazine that jams. All mine work fine.

I did polish my feed ramp to mirror smooth. You need to put a piece of felt or a piece of a foam ear plug on top of your bullet seater plug to stop making the ring around the top of your bullets. Just unscrew the seater plug and put it on a piece of felt or a foam ear plug, tap with a rubber hammer till you cut through and you have a perfect fit, super glue it in place. No more ring around the top of your bullets.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.
Hillary Clinton: "We're Going to Take Things Away From You on Behalf of the Common Good"
"BuckFarack"
Last edited by sapo on May 23rd, 2009, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Sapo, I see one of your mags (on the right) has the larger cut out, like my "good one". Your P-64 is a 1978, maybe something was different on earlier models?

I'm afraid you lost me on the seater plug thing.
sapo

Mag oddity

Post by sapo »

You reload right? Your seater plug is putting a ring around the nose of your bullets. If you don't want the ring, do as I said. Take the seater plug out, if it's an RCBS it unscrews, same for a Lee. Use it like a cookie cutter on some felt or one of the foam ear plugs. Not the whole ear plug, about a 1/4 of it will do. Take the plug you just cut and glue it to the nose of your bullet seater plug. Sometimes the bullet profile in the plugs doesn't exactly match the profile of the bullets your reloading and you get the ring around them. Some guys use JB Weld. I didn't have any. The cheap-o foam ear plugs you get from the range work just as good. Actually mine is a 1975 model.
Last edited by sapo on May 23rd, 2009, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan

Mag oddity

Post by stan »

Actually those are store bought, Silver Bear. I just looked at a few more boxes, they all have the "ring". Makes a case for loading your own.