99% of the time the reason these guns don't work

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

99% of the time the reason these guns don't work is that they have not been cleaned, they are full of cosmoline , take the slide off and the grips and soak over night in a pan of kerosene,diesel fuel , or paint thinner ( do not soak the grips in the pan) spray down with brake cleaner or WD40 , whip it down and re oil and put a little grease on the rails
, then gun put gun back together ,

(there are other was to take cosmoline off of guns but it is must be fore you ever shoot the gun's and rifles)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm,
What do you use to remove it from wood?
G.R.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Gunny, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold. But, I guess it would depend on the type of wood, soft, hard, dense grain what have you. Saw an old enfield SMLE HAD SO MUCH OF THE STUFF ON IT, it was a mess. Guy told me he was going to use Easy-off oven cleaner, also read that some where here. But, who ever it was was also stripping the stock too. I think that would be a little harsh. Maybe a plastic, throw away type putty knife and a heat gun set low. I'd have to see it. Mineral spirits??
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GR
I always use ace hardware paint stripper on stocks, it will suck the oil and cosmoline and the finish off and out of a stock , but don't get any on you it will burn you like a house a fire, ( when I was 15 I work at an antique furniture repair store and that's what we used but it was a lot stronger stuff ) then with dish soap wash it of, I have even put some stocks in my dish washer depending how dirty they were ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

this is pix of as is Martini Henry before

after striping
2 coats of ( BLO & Toung oil mix )
stocks back on rifle

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

by the way the MH stock looks even better in person,I was lucky enuff to see that and some of Norms other work when I was in Fla .last month.
bob

Post by bob »

Remember even with soaking these guns there maybe some nooks and crannies that need special attention.On mine the trigger guard hinge pin would walk.I had to take it apart and clen it all out(hole,spring ,plunger) then alittle lube and everything was fine.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

8-)

Norm is correct. Clean it, then clean it again. I have seen the best and the worst of what a P-64 can look like. Mine are mint, but I have seen ones at gun shows that I wish I could buy parts off of!

My 1968 and 1975 are two of my favorite guns.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

For wooden stocks/handguards, Easy Off oven cleaner works, but you have to clean off the cosmoline in layers. As I was going to refinish the wooden stocks/handguards, didn't care about the old finish. I did several SKS wooden stocks where the cosmoline was at least a half in thick. Especially some of the stuff from Century Arms in Vt.

Old plastic spatulas, plastic putty knives, etc all helped with the removal of the easy off/cosmoline slime. Wouldn't recommend this for your finer wooden stocks/handguards. Sgt P.
Last edited by Sgt P on July 26th, 2009, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1shot1xrag

Post by 1shot1xrag »

Hey Folks, I have reviewed the comments herein. Sound advice all. I have a 1973 that was packed with cosmo as stated. Took it apart and soaked overnight in diesel fuel. I am blessed to have compressed air. Blew everything out at least twice. Put it back together with Tetra Lube and Break Free. Was OK but thought something was lacking. (stiff in spots), Just received a can of Hoppes Moly Lube today. Took the slide off, wiped out old lube, add Moly to surfaces and rails and such. Put it back together. New Gun!!! On my mothers grave!! A new gun...... You might try it! Best wishes to all. Happy plinking!!!!! 1shot1xrag ;)
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

Remember to keep telling yourself - Cosmoline is our friend!

Seriously, I've used mineral spirits when removing cosmoline from all my previous milsurps. Its a bit safer to use than kerosene or diesel. It also works on wood. Use an old toothbrush to scrub the stuff out of hard to reach areas.
Hobe Sound P.83

Re: 99% of the time the reason these guns don't work

Post by Hobe Sound P.83 »

Is that the Martini-Henry from the time of Zulu, Rorke's Drift, 1879? or is that one from pre-1888 before they went to the .303 Lee-Methford Rifle? Is she Fireable? Paul
CRY HAVOC! AND LET SLIP THE FALCONS OF ATLANTA!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Paul

that's a Nepal Francotte Henry, and I wouldn't shoot that one the action is to week,

I have five MH's 3 rifle's and 2 carbine's that I shoot , I also have 5 Gahendra Henry's that I also shoot

I just about have every untouched rifle that IMA sells and shoot all of them except the Francotte

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/ ... b60be962a9

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
royke

Post by royke »

I assume that the Martinis with the slip on recoil pads are the ones which you shoot most
often........
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

royke
you got that right

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage