99% of the time the reason these guns don't work

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Thunderbolt

Re: 99% of the time the reason these guns don't work

Post by Thunderbolt »

Remember also that the final internall fit and finish is not the greatest either".
While you have it apart to clean and lube it make sure everything operates smoothly, don't be surprised to see unfinished egdes and machining marks.
Invest in some small machinest files and some roll punches also 1500 wet dry sandpaper.

Never allow the radicall views of the few to infringe on the constitutional rights of the many
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

normsutton, that Martini Henry looked great after you were done. I have done similar things with my M91/30's, but the stocks were not as rough as the Henry you did. Good job.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Huff

Post by Huff »

CRC brake parts cleaner is your friend for wood or metal. For wood I spray it on and wipe right away with paper towels. Quick and easy.
huff
koolkats

Post by koolkats »

I cleaned my CZ52, which was caked with coz. in about 30 minutes with charcoal lighter fluid. I completely disassembled the gun and soaked it in a shallow pan and used a small, 1 inch, brush. The coz. just melted away.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Never thought of lighter fluid, good tip.

I used Keroseane on cosmo, maybe it's the same thing.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
magnum42069

Post by magnum42069 »

My buddy cleaned his 10/22 with spray brake parts cleaner. Everywhere the metal touched wood the finish was removed from the stock. No Carb cleaner people!
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Curly1 wrote:Never thought of lighter fluid, good tip.

I used Keroseane on cosmo, maybe it's the same thing.
They are both from the same family of petroleum distillates. Naptha (AKA lighter fluid) can be bought in large-size containers in any hardware store alongside kerosene and other solvents.

Naptha is a light but effective solvent that has many uses. It is safe to use on most raw plastics and won't cause hazing or fogging. We use it at work to clean polycarbonate motorcycle windshields.

Benzine is a stronger and more aggressive formulation. Typical applications include wax removal, spray adhesive removal, and cleaning adhesive residue from glass surfaces.

Kerosene is stronger than either of the above, and requires more care and ventilation when using it. It will also fog the surface of most plastics.

Brake cleaner is tetrachloroethene. It is nasty stuff. We use it at work to clean... brake pads and discs. It will ruin paint and other finishes on metal. It will destroy most plastics. Can be used to clean electrical connectors, disassembled engine parts, most metals that do not have an exterior finish.

You should wear rubber gloves with any of the above and have good ventilation.
Joker31

Post by Joker31 »

I use Diesel Fuel then after I think I have it all out, Wrap it a sheet or cheesecloth, then a black trash bag and leave it in the Hot Summer Fl Sunshine, the rest of the crap comes out and stains the crap out of the sheet. Nothing beats free heat.

I have a buddy that uses an Aluminum Guncase that he took the foam out of and bilt a propane oven in it, with a drain hole... works great, we did 5 crates of Nagants when they were $49.99 each
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

BikerNut wrote:Brake cleaner is tetrachloroethene. It is nasty stuff. We use it at work to clean... brake pads and discs. It will ruin paint and other finishes on metal. It will destroy most plastics. Can be used to clean electrical connectors, disassembled engine parts, most metals that do not have an exterior finish.
So...don't use it to clear off cosmo?
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

it says take grips off
normsutton wrote:99% of the time the reason these guns don't work is that they have not been cleaned, they are full of cosmoline , take the slide off and the grips and soak over night in a pan of kerosene,diesel fuel , or paint thinner ( do not soak the grips in the pan) spray down with brake cleaner or WD40 , whip it down and re oil and put a little grease on the rails
, then gun put gun back together ,

(there are other was to take cosmoline off of guns but it is must be fore you ever shoot the gun's and rifles)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Right, but other guy says brake cleaner ruins finishes.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

only painted finishes , been using it on blued finishes for years , only an acid will harm a blued finish

NORM
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

On that note, what should I use to repaint the safety indicator? Will any old nail polish do?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

or new polish

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Davidrol

Post by Davidrol »

Cosmoline is wax-like petroleum based preservative and can be removed with a soak in boiling water. The hot Cosmoline along with any other oils/grease will rise to the surface. Once the heated metal is removed, it dries instantly.