22 lbs Recoil Spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
stover

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by stover »

I'm waiting to pick up my P64. Mean while I have gotten a spring order from wolf. The issue is I bought a 22 lbs spring figuring bigger is better.
Doesn't look like that is the case from what I have been able to find on this board.
Does 22 lbs recoil spring work in a P64?
Does it need to be modified?
Should I suck it up and buy a 20 lbs spring instead?

Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by normsutton »

stover

no , you will just have to grin the ends of the spring to get them in

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stover

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by stover »

Hum, thanks Norm. Guess I'll figure it out when the gun arrives.
lcberlin

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by lcberlin »

Flatten the ends, I did it on the side of the wheel on my bench grinder. Went slow so I did NOT overheat anyting. I really like it with the 22lb spring. I bought the pack, and tried each one. Stayed with the 22lb.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by manicmechanic »

Dip it in some oil to keep cool while flattening and you should be good to go. Just try to match it with your original spring ends. You can also try getting rid of the sharp edge on the barrel side of the spring with a small round file or some sandpaper and it won't scratch the barrel as much on install.
stover

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by stover »

Got the 22 lbs recoil spring and 18 lbs main spring installed. DA trigger pull is still pretty stout. Anyone measured the trigger pull weight after putting in the 18 pounder?
rottenrick

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by rottenrick »

Hey Stover, did you grind the ends on the recoil springs?? I received my springs from Wolf today, but no pistol received yet. I haven't read what the trigger pull would be with 18lb spring. I sure it's here somewhere just a matter of finding it. This place is kind'a like being a hitchhiker, sooner or later someone will give a ride or the information. they're a pretty good group. I'd like to know myself. I goot the hammerspring value pack, plus a 20lb. recoil. I'kll get off now and wait for response while I'm looking through the treads for the answer.
stover

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by stover »

I ground the ends flat with a dremel tool because the slide wouldn't go on it with the new spring. In the process realized it wouldn't go back on with the original spring either. While fussing with it I had press the trigger pin out a fraction of an inch and it was preventing the slide from going on the frame.
Pushed it back in and good to go, so not sure how much of an impact grinding the spring ends flat had. It does look more like the original now.
Sorry, know that wasn't much help. BTW< I got my springs before the pistol too. J&G Shipped 2 days after my order (on a Tuesday) and I got the gun the following Tuesday. 1968 round hammer used but not abused with more than 95% of original finish and a perfect looking bore.
Hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine.
rottenrick

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by rottenrick »

Stover, went to the Polish firearms page. It states that the 'Stock' as issued DA trigger pull measures between 25-27lbs, of course it wouldn't list anything about changing springs. All I could find so far.
stumbras

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by stumbras »

I have the same problem, can you grind it with manual tools or it has to be perfect?

stover wrote: I ground the ends flat with a dremel tool because the slide wouldn't go on it with the new spring. In the process realized it wouldn't go back on with the original spring either. While fussing with it I had press the trigger pin out a fraction of an inch and it was preventing the slide from going on the frame.
Pushed it back in and good to go, so not sure how much of an impact grinding the spring ends flat had. It does look more like the original now.
Sorry, know that wasn't much help. BTW< I got my springs before the pistol too. J&G Shipped 2 days after my order (on a Tuesday) and I got the gun the following Tuesday. 1968 round hammer used but not abused with more than 95% of original finish and a perfect looking bore.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by normsutton »

stumbras

yes you can use sand paper or a file its just slower. remember to put the small end of the spring on the barrel first

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
negativegeforce

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by negativegeforce »

stover wrote: I ground the ends flat with a dremel tool because the slide wouldn't go on it with the new spring. In the process realized it wouldn't go back on with the original spring either. While fussing with it I had press the trigger pin out a fraction of an inch and it was preventing the slide from going on the frame.
Funny I got my 1968 (round hammer) P-64 last week on Tuesday from J&G.

I just installed the 22lb recoil spring (had to file down like everyone else), replacement firing pin spring and a 17lb hammer spring. The DA is now tolerable and the magazine is easier to remove (not too easy though).

While everything was apart I also smoothed the safety drum holes where the sprung locking pin slides in/out of and I rounded off the pin itself. The safety now gives a slight click instead of a heavy notch feel.
Last edited by negativegeforce on April 9th, 2009, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srad

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by srad »

ordered a P64 today & will order the springs tonight. Can someone please post a photo of the 'flattened' spring ends? I'm assuming that grinding/flattening the spring ends is simply accomplished by slowly holding the end flat against a grinding wheel, correct?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by normsutton »

srad

when you take the original spring out you will see how to flatten the spring, because the original's are flatten

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
srad

22 lbs Recoil Spring

Post by srad »

thanks, got it today from Centerfire Systems... really nice shape except for a little wear by the end of the muzzle. Hope to get it to the range in a couple days.

Looks like there's real heavy oil all over the thing. Will clean it off with Hoppes #9 tonight. Should I just field strip it, take off the grips, and clean the surfaces or do I have to dip the whole thing in turpentine or something like that?

Thanks for all your help.