magazine base repair/replace?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mrcrabby01

Post by mrcrabby01 »

My pistol fell outta my car and landed just perfect enough to break off the pinkie/finger rest.

can i replace this? take it off?

I guess i'm asking is there a source for base plates?
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The pinky extension is molded to the base plate and not removable in itself. If you just broke the end of it off you could recontour the base plate to clean up the broken area.
I have intentionally removed the pinky extension on one of my magazines. I took a hacksaw and cut the base of the magazine off leaving about 1/8 inch of remaining thickness. Used a disc sander to square and clean it up. I prefer this magazine for carry even though my pinky is under the grip.
I don't know of any place to buy just the magazine base/finger rest.
To remove the entire base, stick something through the magazine sides (small screwdriver, allen wrench, ice pick or such) at the base end and pull the magazine spring toward the follower. The tang will disengage from the base and the base will slide off.
mrcrabby01

Post by mrcrabby01 »

Thank you sir.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

For those of us that like the Pinkie grip you could fill it with bondo or epoxy. Hell if its that bad head to the hobby store and pick up some mold making stuff and make a mold of a good one then glue the new one onto the old metal floor plate.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

:'(

Why not just buy another magazine and keep what you have left for parts? They are available on Gunbroker.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I took one of my xtra P64 mags and removed the base and modified a Makarov base to fit as I like not having one on there when I carry (pinky hanger). Got used to not having my pinky on anything from shooting my 380 Mustang and got used to it. sinbad
retiredfireguy

Post by retiredfireguy »

I sawed the finger rests off of my magazines. They don't serve any useful purpose for me, and they stick out a long ways, which makes it just that much more difficult to conceal the gun.