FEG AP-MBP .32 - Which Wolff Springs?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

I recently purchased an AP-MBP pistol in .32 auto for a great price and am surprised at how well it shoots. My wife has decided she'd like to use it for concealed carry, but like most people she finds the DA trigger pull to be too much.

Thanks to the wealth of info here I have already found that Wolff springs are in order and how to swap them, but I can't find much by way of recommendations on which springs seem to work best with the weaker .32 round. I ordered the Wolff spring packs for PA-63 based on some of the info I found online, but now I just need a little guidance on where to start so that I don't have to swap the springs around 20 times experimenting. The recoil springs are easy to swap at the range, so that's not a big deal to experiment with, mainly it's the hammer springs I'm hoping someone here has experience with.

My options are as follows:
Recoil Springs - 11, 13 & 15 lbs
Hammer Springs - 9, 11 & 13 lbs

I was thinking I'd just shoot for the middle (11lb) on the hammer springs and the highest recoil spring and work back if it doesn't feed. Part of me wants to go right to the weakest spring since these are for the more powerful cartridge, but I fear it may result in light primer strikes and more spring swapping. :-/

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

twistedfocus

welcome

I use the 9 # hammer spring in both my PA-63's with no problems, ( I don't shoot any steel ammo out of my guns ether they have harder primers in them) and I shoot mostly reloads

hope that helps
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
doyle

Post by doyle »

I've got one of them. I used the 11lb hammer spring - worked perfectly. I did not change the recoil spring. Don't need to. The .32 is so weak in recoil that changing the spring wasn't necessary.
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

Thabks for the welcome and the input guys.

doyle wrote:I've got one of them. I used the 11lb hammer spring - worked perfectly. I did not change the recoil spring. Don't need to. The .32 is so weak in recoil that changing the spring wasn't necessary.
I realize it's subjective, but did the 11lb spring make the DA pull noticably better? - thinking from the perspective of someone with weak hands. I'm trying to go "light enough" the first time out without risking light primer strikes. I don't plan to use steel case ammo, but if she's goinf to use this gun for CCW I definitely need to make sure it always goes bang.

Strangely, I have been trying to sway her toward $5-700 "big-brand" guns that I like... but thus far this little thing is a clear winner. I actually quite like it also, but prefer the added punch that my Kahr P9 offers.
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

the 11 lb hammer spring made a big difference in my PA-63, I can shoot DA with only one finger now!
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

I picked up some snap-caps locally last night and tried out the 11lb hammer spring first. I think it will do the trick based on dry-firing (using the snap caps, of course). The DA pull is now what I would consider "normal" and the SA is actually a tad lighter than I expected. I think for reliabilty/safety's sake I'll stay with the 11lb provided the wife shoots it acceptably. We'll see this weekend after we hit the range.

Norm's guide made this job super easy, although I almost needed 3 hands to work the spring plug back in and replace the roll pin.

Thanks again for the guidance guys.