Magazine releases after firing all rounds?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
breilley

Post by breilley »

Hi guys:
I've posted here a few times but only recently bought my P-64. It is a 1976, triangular hammer, bought from J&G. I completely stripped, cleaned, and lubricated it before firing it. I have replaced the factory mainspring with a Wolff 18# spring(but I did buy the three-pack, so I have two heavier options also). I shot it for the first time last weekend. I took it out again yesterday.

Three times over the two shooting sessions, the magazine released after I'd fired all six rounds(or seven, depending on how I'd loaded it). I have two magazines, but I regret to say that I did not notice whether only one, or each one, were in use when the problem occurred.

Has anybody else seen this?

Thanks!
- Ben
davebaird

Post by davebaird »

Hi Ben. I am new here too, but went with a 20 pound hammer spring because some fellas said 18 or less MAY cause the mag spring to release the mag during recoil.

Dave
breilley

Post by breilley »

Alright Dave, I'll swap to a heavier spring and see what happens. Thank you!
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

If you could make it do that consistently it would be cool! A self-ejecting magazine.
updownload

Post by updownload »

OK, I've had the same problem, and have the cause- GRIPS.

Somehow, it's getting jammed open. You only notice after shooting all the rounds because you have your finger under the mag.

Not sure on a solution yet, but I'm sure some dremeling will be involved
pharmd87

Post by pharmd87 »

bump. I am also A new owner of a P64 and replaced the hammer spring with a 19. Anyone have a cause of this problem/solution??
fiver

Post by fiver »

I just replaced the factory springs in my P-64 with an HD recoil spring and an 18# on the trigger.
I noticed upon tightening the grips back down, the 18# spring doesn't seem to have enough oomph to press the magazine latch all the way forward causing the latch to stick back in the grips a bit. It works fine if you loosen the grips, but the amount I must loosen them is causes them to be wobbly.

I tried to sand/polish the inside of the grips where it was catching with some success. However, it wasn't good enough. I have resorted to putting a small "cube" of 6-8 oz leather behind the latch between the grip (roughly a 1/4" by 1/4" by 6-8oz thick and trimmed to fit). Basically, it keeps the latch from traveling back too far and exerts enough pressure to keep it pressed forward.

I dunno, but this might keep the magazine from dropping due to recoil. I hope to give it a test rife next week. If it works, it might be a cheap way to "fix" the issue without having to mod the gun.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

ok guys

that's why I tell you to get the 3 pack of hammer springs, I use the 18# hammer spring in all of mine , I do not cut the hammer spring or leave the washer out , I had a guy call me the other night . he said some ware on the Internet he read that you have to cut the hammer spring to get it in the gun , I told he the only spring you may have to finish is the recoil spring and do not cut the hammer spring down, and use only the P-64 springs not the PPK springs and don't get the 17# spring

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 22nd, 2010, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

;)

Springs....springs.....springs......

Listen to Norm guys.

I have read and re-read spring Q&A's here for a long time.

I prefer my carry P-64 with the #22 #18 Wollf setup.

Just not Wolf Ammo.........

Thanks again Norm
8-)
Mark
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas