D/A issue

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
deaconblue

D/A issue

Post by deaconblue »

Hello All, I was recommended to this site via theakforum.net

Here is the histroty and the issue.

I picked the gun up used the previous owner bought it from another shop and did not like the d/a pull and the other shop led him to believe that is was a "9mm" and did not specify that it was 9x18 Mak. That shop was selling them for 249+tax, I got it for 150 OTD.

Issue, This was just started becasue I was attempting to get adjusted to the strong D/A pull. So I would have the gun loaded and one in the hole and the safety on. Disengage the safety and shoot in D/A first shoot and S/A there after. I have put about 400 rnds through it and I just noticed that now when the gun is cocked with a round in the chanber and you attempt to shoot the first shot in D/A it doesn't and it feel like it does when you pull the trigger with the safety on. However, If you have the gun empty and cock it and drop the safety and then put it back on fire it will engage the hammer and you can feel the strong pull and I will fire in D/A. I have look at several other threads and they are similar but not exactly the same issue. This issue is repeatable 100% I brought it back to the gun shop and a guy and I looked at it and tried to determine what/why it was doing that he could not understand why it would function correctly unloaded but loaded it would not work in D/A; Now I an just cocking the hammer first and it works fine but only in S/A

Has anyone else experieced this?

Any info would be appreciate
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

D/A issue

Post by blinddog »

Hi deaconblue and welcome aboard. I don't fully understand your problem. It sounds like something is really wrong. Is there any way that you can explain it a little clearer, My old brain doesn't think like it use to. Thanks and you are on the best forum on line as far as IMO!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

D/A issue

Post by normsutton »

deaconblue

WELCOME

as blinddog said ( Is there any way that you can explain it a little clearer, My old brain doesn't think like it use to. )

I suspect that the gun has never been properly cleaned, 99.5% problems with the P-64 can be resolved by a good cleaning, take the grips and slide off , and soak it in paint thinner , kerosene . or diesel fuel
or you can put it in a pan of water with some dish soap and boil it . then re oil it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
barnett3006

D/A issue

Post by barnett3006 »

Welcome to the board!

I suspect your disconnector is gummed up or has a bur on it that isn't allowing it to sit at its proper "ready to go" height leaving your trigger partially disconnected from the sear.

This would cause the transfer bar to jump off the sear in D/A mode but there would still be enough contact to let the light S/A work as it would normally.

If the disconnector is not gummed up but still not working right then the transfer bar spring might be weak/broken or not installed properly.

I would do as Norm suggested and give her a good bath in paint thinner then re-oil with your favorite gun oil and see what happens.
deaconblue

D/A issue

Post by deaconblue »

Thanks for the replies. I will explain it better. Sometimes I write things and go back and read them and I a lost myself. It is like I know what I am trying to say but my brain is thinking faster than my hands can type. But I believe it is what Norm and Barnett said.

When the gun is empty
I rack the slide then hammer is cocked and it is in single action
I then decock the gun
Gun is in double action
Move the safety back to fire
Pull trigger and the hammer drops
The gun functions as it is intended to do

When this action is repeated with a round in the chamber and you attempt to fire the weapon in double action the trigger goes back just like the safety was engaged and hammer does not move. So to recapitulate (big word :) ain't used it in years)
I insert a loaded magazine
Rack the slide
Round is now in chamber and hammer is in single action
Push safety/decocker to drop the hammer so I can carry weapon safely
When I move safety to fire and pull trigger; trigger goes all the way back (just like when the safety is on but I can feel a little more resistance) and the hammer does not move.
------
However the gun will fire if:
I then place the weapon in single action by manually pulling the trigger back until it catches
Pull the trigger and it goes bang and will go bang until empty
----
When gun is unloaded this procedure results in the hammer falling and the gun performing correctly as designed

Norm and Barnett:
I believe yall are correct and I will clean it because prior to this I was attempting to see how reliable the gun was before I switch from my S&W 638 to the P-64 and I shot the hell out of it and did not clean it. I was using some RNC (and my experience with Russian ammo is that it is not the cleanest in the world) ball ammo and as stated earlier I put ~400 rounds in it before I cleaned it; but I guess I did not clean it throughly enough my main area of cleaning was the barrel and slide. I did take the grips off and hit that area with some hoppes 9 with a brush but I did not clean in throughly and I did not pay that much attention to that area.
Tomorrow I will clean the hell out of it and report back if I get a chance to go to an area to shoot it (either to the range or to a friend's land that we normally shoot at)--even though it has one well of a D/A pull and I am sure that I could pull the trigger and start to feel the hammer engaging I will wait and go somewhere where I can shoot it and not my backyard--basically use some common sense!

I really do not have anything at the moment to let it soak in other than some CLP or some brake parts cleaner--you cant really soak it in brake parts cleaner it tends to evaporate quickly, I may have some paint thinner left

Thank yall for the replies and the welcome aboard's
Last edited by deaconblue on September 28th, 2008, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

D/A issue

Post by pshootr »

Not real sure, but I think someone else on this board had the same problem a while back.
deaconblue

D/A issue

Post by deaconblue »

PshootR wrote:Not real sure, but I think someone else on this board had the same problem a while back.
I figured that this issue has occured to someone else. I have used the search feature but I am still getting the hang of it. I have search using the key words of "double action not working" it did not like me using the word "not" so I used "doble action working" "double action issue" & "double action" The only results that come back is my post. So I am still trying to get the hang of the search feature.

I have throughly cleaned the gun with paying special attention to the disconnetor and sear area. I looked to see if there was a burr or worn part(s) and to see what would be causing it and did not see anything obvious. I did not get the opportunity to shoot the weapon this weekend so I am looking forward to see if cleaning the heck resolved the issue. In the meantime I will continue to read posts that may be similar and try to get the hang of the search feature

-----------

I found the related topic; it was actually about ten post below mine
Last edited by deaconblue on September 30th, 2008, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
3rdpig

D/A issue

Post by 3rdpig »

One of my two P-64's did this from the moment I bought it. It had been cleaned well but I disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly but that didn't cure the problem. After looking at it carefully I decided the disconnector was slightly too long. Why this was never noticed before escapes me, but the thought that it was not the original part, or the gun had been unfired to this point did cross my mind.

After really looking at the relationship of the parts I decided to shorten the bottom of the disconnector. All I did was take a few thousandths off the bottom corner where it contacts the trigger bar. This cured the problem with no side effects. Another user here, Roadweazel if memory serves, with the same problem tried shortening the other end and wound up disabling the decocker function.

Here's a link to the thread I posted when I got my first P64, the one that did what yours is doing. If you need more help let me know and I'll post pics of what I did to fix it.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1271
Last edited by 3rdpig on October 1st, 2008, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alden

D/A issue

Post by alden »

Holy smoke -- I just joined and posted the SAME EXACT PROBLEM out of the box in what appears to be an unfired gun.

I will clean it. Maybe shave that bar if needed as well, but, don't want to and shouldn't have to. Why would it only happen when it is LOADED w/one in the chamber? No play on words intended, but, what's the connection?!

Anyway, if you happen to post a picture of where you took some metal off of where, that'd be great!

Thanks guys

Alden