Safety drops every time gun is fired.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

I bought a P-64 today. When I fire the gun the safety drops to the safe position even time I fire the gun. The safety "snicks" into place and feels like it ought to stay in place, but every time I fire the gun, it puts itself on the safe position. I've tried racking the slide rapidly to get the same result but it wont do it. Whats up with that? BTW this is my first post - hello to all. I finally get my P-64 and its a dud. It kinda bites.. :o
Last edited by cracker60 on August 24th, 2008, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protector

Post by protector »

Welcome cracker60,sounds like a broken safety detent spring, or the gun needs a extra good cleaning,as these have a lot of cosmoline residue in them,hang in there Norm Sutton will offer you advice as well as other members,just be patient it will be worth it when you get it worked out! ;)
Last edited by protector on August 24th, 2008, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

protector wrote:Welcome cracker60,sounds like a broken safety detent spring, or the gun needs a extra good cleaning,as these have a lot of cosmoline residue in them,hang in there Norm Sutton will offer you advice as well as other members,just be patient it will be worth it when you get it worked out! ;)
Thanks for your reply protector. I knew someone would reply soon, there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there. Ill get it fixed, I just know it! ;D
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Hello!! I had the same problem with one of mine. I took the safety out of the slide and found that the safety detent was rounded off. Ya gotta be careful taking it all apart. Springs hide. do it in a plastic bag big enough to work in. I believe Norm Sutton has a diagram in the sticky part that shows how to remove everything. If the detent is rounded all you have to do is take some fine grit sand paper and grind it to a point, but not too sharp of one. Put her back together and see if that doesnt take care of your problem. P.S. clean it real good with some brake clean or something else then lube it real good.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

cracker60

download this manual itis a step by step Disassmebly/Reassembly

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1537

you can take a look at this tread too

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=2109

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 25th, 2008, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

I just ordered a Walther PPK safety plunger and spring from Numrich and a new hammer and recoil springs from Wolff. The safety plunger is nicely rounded off to almost a flat. I think I am a victim of some bubba gunsmith >:(as the rest of the parts look fairly unworn. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll give a report when I get it all together. :-*
protector

Post by protector »

http://www.tnguns.com/warehouse/ Get your part/parts here! :)
Last edited by protector on August 25th, 2008, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

protector wrote:http://www.tnguns.com/warehouse/ Get your part/parts here! :)
Thanks, but I actually went there first and they wanted $12.50 to ship a spring and plunger! I discovered elsewhere on the board the the spring and plunger from a Walther PP will work. I got the plunger and spring for $10.55 shipped from Numrich, far better the $21.50 that tnguns wanted.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Well, cracker, did that get your problem fixed? Let us know something, OK.
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

I ended up chucking the original detent plunger in a Dremel tool and grinding a point on it and reusing the spring as well. The Parts I got from Numrich wouldn't work. I installed a 17lb hammer spring and will install a 22lb recoil spring when I get a chance next week. I believe the original plunger should be hardened :o, I will see how it holds up. I will let you know how every thing works when I get back to the range in a couple of weeks. ;D
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

cracker60
sorry about the parts from Numrich

to harden the pin heat up till cheery red drop in oil don't care what kind of oil you can even use cold water

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

cracker60 wrote:The Parts I got from Numrich wouldn't work.
How would they not work, didn't fit?
cracker60

Post by cracker60 »

stibnite wrote:
cracker60 wrote:The Parts I got from Numrich wouldn't work.
How would they not work, didn't fit?
The plunger seemed to be somewhat larger in OD than the original, I couldn't get it to slide inside the hole. It was a lot shorter as well. I didn't feel like messing around with it so I just reused what I had. Should have done that in the first place I guess. >:(
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

That's kind of strange, someone on this board posted that the parts fit perfect... I think it's in the sticky book. Maybe they sent you something wrong?

Anyhoo, just curious about the Walther parts. I had the same problem as you did with the originals, put a little point on my plunger too but had to get a stouter spring later. That worked in the end.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

If you didn't take too much of the plunger making it too short, you should be back in the ball game. You should have sent pics we all love pics. Follow Norms instructions on hardening and all is well. Good Luck!!!! :)