Reloading Lead Question

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Lead Question

Post by dolang1 »

I recently acquired about 40 lbs. of lead sewer pipe. I was on my way to call Midway about a melting pot and some bullet molds when I stopped by to brag about my treasure to a reloading buddy. He said my new found lead was too soft, and showed me the difference with a pocket knife on my lead and one of his bullets. My question is: Should I melt something with this lead or just rely on purchased lead? I have nothing in this lead, I just thought it would be cool to shoot sewer pipe lead at a target. Thanks in advance for your advice. Later Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading Lead Question

Post by normsutton »

Don

at the fps a 9 x 18 goes I don't think it will lead the barrel , lead pipe is pure lead and that's what 38 hollow base wad cutters are loaded with, if you want throw some wheel weights in it to make it harder and drop them from your mold into a coffee can full of ice water it will get good and hard

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on May 5th, 2008, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Reloading Lead Question

Post by dolang1 »

Thanks Norm, that's good news. I load 38s as well. I will get the pot and some molds headed this way. Later Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading Lead Question

Post by normsutton »

Don

get you one of these it make the best lead flux i ever used lead will flow like Mercury and will look just like it after you flux the lead

my range master turned me on to this two months ago and the stuff is amazing

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

Reloading Lead Question

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I've never tried the sewer pipe but I'm with Norm on the toilet bowl ring for flux. I've been using the rings for years with good results.
I typically cast with wheel weights or reclaimed range lead.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Reloading Lead Question

Post by garry »

I recently read that a common lead mixture is 1 part Tin added to 16 parts Lead. I don't know where you can buy pure tin.
I also read a mixture of 1 part tin added to 20 parts lead, so, it looks like there is probably a nice bit of play there to experiment with and find the "right" mix for each caliber.
Norm has sparked my interest in trying to melt lead down and make my own bullets! When he swaged the .22 lr cases into .223 bullets I realized just how much fun making your own bullets and "experimenting" can be. The .22lr turned into .223 cal bullets is a neat trick! Good Luck with the sewer bullets! and remember to wash your hands afterwards and DON'T CHEW YOUR FINGERNAILS. HAHAA
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Reloading Lead Question

Post by garry »

How do you get the lead bullets to weigh consistently ? or do they? I assume that when you make your lead mixture, that is what dictates the average weight? Can you make the bullets heavier by reducing tin or whatever other "filler" metal you use? since Lead is the heaviest metal used.
Is there a gas check on the 9mm Makarov lead bullets?
Thanks Again, G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading Lead Question

Post by normsutton »

G

you need to use pure lead to swage in jackets

bar solder is mostly tin

I always weigh my lead bullets after cast never go what it says on the mould

as far as I'm concerned wheel weight's make's good bullets ,i even load them in my 303 up to 2000 fps

these have gas checks on them and are drop out the mould in ice water

you don't need gas checks on a 9x18 bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage