Full mag feed problem

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
fcm018

Full mag feed problem

Post by fcm018 »

Hi gang,
I took the P 64 to the range today to try some SD ammo for carry. This is the first time that I loaded one in the pipe and then refilled the magazine back to 6 before firing (exactly as I'd carry). I quickly found out that I get feed problems on the first round out of the magazine every time. The one in the pipe fires, the shell ejects, but round #2 misfeeds and the slide is locked back with a bullet angled in the chamber area. It consistently does this.

Of course, the quick and easy solution is to carry 1 in the pipe and 5 in the mag, which works OK. But if there's an easy fix or this is just a break-in issue, better still.

I also noticed that on the commie ammo (Wolf), I get some "no fires" that if I squeeze the trigger again (from DA position) shoot fine. I'm guessing this is because I changed the trigger spring and am getting some light strikes. This is a "don't care" for me, since the American (Hornady, Power Ball) ammo doesn't do this and I'd never carry the steel ball stuff. It's something I can live with at the range when shooting cheap ammo, no problem.

-moleman
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Full mag feed problem

Post by normsutton »

fcm018

might be just a break-in issue , I don't carry with one in the tube,
hard primers that's why I always suggest the hammer spring pack, I shoot nothing but MSF or my reloads ,

I wouldn't shoot wolf ammo in my guns if it was for free.
just my 2 cents

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garda77

Full mag feed problem

Post by garda77 »

NORMSUTTON wrote:fcm018

I wouldn't shoot wolf ammo in my guns if it was for free.
just my 2 cents

NORM
Why? I thought that wolf had fixed the gumming that came from the lacquer coating on their rounds.
weetabix

Full mag feed problem

Post by weetabix »

I hate Wolf because it's so stinking dirty.
fcm018

Full mag feed problem

Post by fcm018 »

Thanks, Norm, I guess I'll use it as an excuse to shoot it a bit more. I figure on carrying one in the pipe, safety ON, Between safety and 20 lb trigger I feel comfy.

What is MSF ammo? Why don't you like Wolf for plinking (because it's all steel?)

I won't mess with other hammer springs unless it does the light strike thing on ammo that I'd carry for SD. If you give me a good enough reason, I might stop getting Wolf anyhow. It's just SO darned cheap at the gun shows is all.

Clint (FCM018)
barnett3006

Full mag feed problem

Post by barnett3006 »

Wolf uses over sized bullets in their 9x18 Mak ammo. You will probably notice a BIG difference in recoil if you were to shoot Russian Baurnal (or any other 9x18mm loaded to standard specs) ammo followed by the Wolf ammo.

When you had the misfeeds what kind of ammo where you shooting? Mine hates the Hornady XTP's....
Last edited by barnett3006 on April 26th, 2008, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
weetabix

Full mag feed problem

Post by weetabix »

I took two of mine to the range recently, and I got feeding problems again. One is stock, the other has the hammer and recoil springs replaced. I'm shooting Silver Bear 94gr JHP. Maybe they don't like steel cases?

I'd get a round jacked up at a funny angle, like the mag wouldn't quite let go or something.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Full mag feed problem

Post by anjdrifter »

try fmj instead you will have less problems . there are other ways but other then cleaning and polishing I wouldnt.
fcm018

Full mag feed problem

Post by fcm018 »

I think I had it with all 3 ammos I was using. I need to get back to the range and start to isolate it better. Hornady hollow points, Power Balls, and Wolf. Both SD ammos and the Wolf worked fine when the mag only was loaded and I racked one and started firing. It was only on the full mag (the one I racked I replaced and reinserted mag) that the NEXT round would misfeed. It was not liking to automatically load a round after recoil when the mag was fully stacked with 6.

Part of the problem will be the (lack of) availability of practice & SD ammo locally. I usually find it at gun shows, but the next two coincide with upcoming vacations. Ordering online seems very expensive when shipping is paid and I'm never home when UPS tries deliver so it's a pain for me.

I made the mistake of buying a NIB Kel Tec which just about HAS to have the feed ramp polished to work (plus lots of other 'smithing), I might try it on this one with a dremel, but I think it's steel, anyone have any pointers about that? Felt bob and polishing compound work OK?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Full mag feed problem

Post by normsutton »

fcm018

yes a Felt bob and polishing compound work OK?

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fcm018

Full mag feed problem

Post by fcm018 »

Thanks Norm. BTW, you never told me why you wouldn't shoot Wolf if it were free...?

What DO you like to shoot?

fcm018 (Clint)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Full mag feed problem

Post by normsutton »

Clint

I didn't want to get in to it about Wolf ammo some people get lucky with it, others not so lucky , fried firing pin's, blown out extractors , don't know what kind of powder they are using it doesn't smell right that should tell you something is miss right there

shooting wolf ammo is like putting balled tires on a corvette sooner or later your going to get a blow out and its going to be expensive

I'll shoot all others but I prefer my own reloads

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on April 29th, 2008, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
retiredsailor

Full mag feed problem

Post by retiredsailor »

OK Y'all ain't going to believe this..................

I had that same problem. I also noticed when I cycled the safety, I could 1) actually fire it in DA on the 1st rd out of the mag.

Now, here's the unbelievable part......my military training always have the safety ENGAGED, on, lever down, whatever you want to call it, when inserting the magazine into the M9/1911 yada yada yada. And this was what I did when I was at the rnage, learning this weapon.

You know the old adage, "When all else fails, read the instructions." That's what I did when I downloaded the manual, posted on this very site. I read it, and OMG....it said to disengage the safety (even had a picture with the safety in FIRE position), THEN insert the magazine.

I don't exactly like that idea, but I should try that next time I'm at the range and evaluate the results.
fcm018

Full mag feed problem

Post by fcm018 »

GREAT NEWS!!! After ALL this time, I finally got around to ordering a Dremel kit on E-bay and have been a polishing fool on everything I could think of. I polished the feed ramp of my P 64 to a mirror shine and took it to the range. 150 rounds with ZERO, NONE, NADA problems of any kind whatsoever. Full mag feed problem appears to be a distant memory. I want to give it one more work out after a good cleaning/lubing and then call it done. I shot all 150 in the manner that was giving me jams before - one in the pipe, ful mag.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Full mag feed problem

Post by normsutton »

fcm018

glade to hear everything is fine now

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage