VERY hard DA trigger pull

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

Hey guys,
Newbie to the P64 here, just picked one up at a gun show and fired it today for the first time.

I thought the gun just didn't work at all until I realized I had to pull the trigger with BOTH hands to get it back far enough to fire! Then I'd often fire off a second round unintentionally before I could let up. After a few mags, I had a bloody finger so just settled for using SA mode.

After reading a few threads, I gather that the first thing I should try is an acetone soak - then maybe a trigger spring?

At the risk of asking y'all to answer the same rookie questions for the zillionth time, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this thinking it could be a good concealed carry gun. Similar to a Bersa CC, but with a bigger punch!

Also interested in what makes a good personal defense round once I get it shootable!
protector

Post by protector »

Congratulations on your P64,follow NormSutton's guide to replacing the hammer spring and you will notice a big difference.Get your spring from www.gunsprings.com .IMHO any round with Speer Gold Dots is going to be hard to beat,excellent penetration + excellent mushrooming=stopping power!! :)
Last edited by protector on April 8th, 2008, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

This is a pretty common complaint to say the least.
Wolff, www.gunsprings.com , has replacement springs.
Seems the most popular choice is the 18 lb. hammer spring and the 20 lb. recoil spring.
You can get a hammer spring package consisting of a 18, 19 and 20.
Having extra springs around is nice when you acquire your second P-64.
doyle

Post by doyle »

Mine was the same way. 18lb hammer and 20lb recoil smoothed it out beautifully.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fcm018

welcome
alot of info on this board and alot of great members too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

Thanks, all.

Norm, I sent you an e-mail regarding springs. I wasn't sure what the name of the spring was, but now I gather that the hammer spring kit is that which I seek.

Anyone ever fix this by just soaking the cosmoline out, or is that a pipedream?

I haven't done much gunsmithing here, but I did buy a KelTec, that'll make you learn something, since one of them working right out of the box is rare! I didn't learn too much though, since I ultimately had to send it back after two months of trial and error.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fcm018
clean the gun up frist & soak the cosmoline out all of these guns have it in it, then if you need new springs other than a trigger return or a slide stop spring go to http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html
do not buy the 17 # hammer spring it is to light
the go here to change springs http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1188734749

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

Thanks a mil, all! Going out of town for a few days after tomorrow, but when I get back, I'll start to work on it.

I'm sure I'll either be back begging for more help or else giving a great range report!!!
:)
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

OK, so I installed the trigger spring today (Thanks for the exceedingly great tutorial on this), but now I'm having reassembly problems. The bar that looks like a dog's leg that goes from the trigger to the action seems to need a way to hold it up toward the slide. It seems to work OK when I hold the pistol upside down, but when I hold it normally, that bar falls about 1/4 inch or so and then connects to nothing. This bar popped off when I pulled the trigger according to the spring installation instructions. I didn't see any parts fly or hear any hit walls or floor, but I keep wondering if I'm missing a part that holds the bar toward the top of the grip.

Any help for this pitiful P 64 newbie would be greatly appreciated! I'd LOVE to test out my new trigger spring job a the range tomorrow.

Also, as suggested, I ordered the 20 lb recoil spring. It comes with what appears to be a firing pin spring. Does that get changed as well? I'm not looking for extra work, but want to do the job right.

TIA
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fcm018

The trigger return spring has come off I think

go here http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1179953781

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

Dude, you are a freaking genius! Got it!

Now, do I change the other spring (that came with the recoil spring), or just the recoil?

Thanks TWO mil!!!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

fcm018
you can if you want to but its a pain in the a , and you don't need to

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

I was kinda hoping you'd say that!

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I owe you a bottle of whatever it is you like to drink!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a pretty shooting day here. :)
fcm018

Post by fcm018 »

Hey Norm,

I cleaned out my P 64 today to take it to the range, sadly, I pulled the trigger again and popped the trigger bar off the spring again, so I pulled it apart and reset it again... I'm a slow learner sometimes. It pops off when the slide is not holding it in against the side of the grip.

Anyhoo, GREAT range session! I shot several mags of Wolf ball. The trigger pull with the 18lb spring is still much harder than any of my other guns, but it's downright shootable now. It still has a HAIR TRIGGER in SA. I'm thinking the harder than average trigger pull could be good for defense purposes. Nice to think I'd never fire it unless I REALLY meant to. And then, rapid fire would be easy in SA after the first round...

One other quirk I noticed: Sometimes after I fire a round, it goes back to DA. I thought it jammed or didn't fire, so I'd rack the slide only to eject an unfired round that would've been shot had I just pulled the trigger again. About the third time it did this, I just kept pulling the trigger and it would shoot the whole mag. Typical, or do I have a weird one? It's not bothersome to me, just made me go "Hmmmm..."

Now, to order some 9x18 personal defense ammo.

Thanks Norm and all others for the hospitable sharing of information. You now have another P 64 guy among you. That reminds me, a range officer today was admiring it and told me he's a fan of them as well. He used to carry one as CCW and liked it. Funny who comes out of the woodwork when guns are involved.

FCM018 (Clint)
donw

Post by donw »

Anyone know what the stock spring weights are?-Hammer(?),and recoil stock springs?

I'm real happy with Wolf Springs.-I picked one up for a Star Super in 9mm Largo,and can not believe the difference that one recoil spring made.-.....SMOOTH
Don