VERY hard DA trigger pull

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

It's listed in this link that was posted above.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html
kyle663

Post by kyle663 »

here's a little something i did when i had mine apart. i polished all the sufaces, sear, hammer, etc. and one other thing, if you have a gritty feeling pulling the trigger, take the hammer spring back off the rod it covers and polish it. that did a world of improvement on mine without replacing any springs at all yet.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

You can polish the inside of the hammer spring by rolling up 400 - 600 grit sandpaper into small rolls that will tightly fit into the center of the spring. Either work the spring back and forth on the rolled up wet/dry sandpaper or spin the sandpaper roll with an electric drill or Dremel. Also polish the long part of the hammer strut that goes inside the hammer spring as state above. Another area to polish is the back of the hammer between the safety notch and the full cock notch. Do not touch the full cock notch or reduce it's depth or you may end up with an unsafe firearm. The sear rides accross this area of the hammer during the double-action trigger pull. It does not effect the single-action pull so long as you do not alter the angle or depth of the single-action or full cock notch.
ghostrider1200

Post by ghostrider1200 »

This is my first post and just wanted to that you Norm for the easy instructions for the trigger spring change. I went with the 19 lb. and took it out yesterday and had a blast with it. This is a great place to learn about the P-64.
hickboyy

Post by hickboyy »

I just got my p-64 and also hate the DA pull on it. I will try to polish up the parts, but will probably end up getting the spring kits.

Excuse the ignorance, but what would be the advantages of getting a heavier recoil spring?

HB
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

well guys new p64 user here and I got back from my first range session with the new gun. I had heard that the DA pull was stiff but "holy cow"!!! I honestly thought I had a defective gun. the first DA pull with nothing I thought maybe something was jammed or didn't feed correctly. dropped the mag and cleared the chamber and checked the round. all looked ok so tried again and racked the slide to chamber round and shot off in SA. shot the whole mag then on second mag after a few shots in SA action decided to give it another go with DA. I have a cz which is a manual decocker so out of habit, with the gun pointed down range, I began to manually decock when the hammer slipped and gun went off sending the slide back scraping a huge gash in my left middle finger. feeling pretty stupid at this point, I unload gun and proceed in a race to get bandaids on before blood starts gushing out of this half inch wide scrape. got all bandaged up without too much stray blood. (I always keep bandaids in my billfold and plenty of rags around when shooting) it's about this time that I realize all this was unnecessary with the decocker but I just didn't think of it at the time. regardless, never slipped with the cz so really no excuse for this. lesson learned, never rush a manual decock.

I finally managed to get some rounds off in DA after a few dry fires convinced me the problem was the extra extra stiff trigger pull. what I basically had to do was jerk the trigger back to get enough power to fully depress. if I tried an even pull as in my other guns I would get "stuck". I noticed if I push downward on the trigger as I pull it back that helped but it was still difficult and by the time the gun went off all aim was hopeless. SA after the first down and left shots I was able to start putting them in the 9 hole at least. I know it will take some time to get used to the gun, my main concern was making sure the gun was shooting properly. it did function without any hitches. I just know I have to change out that hammer spring because if I had to depend on that DA pull as it is now I know I'd end up a dead man. I am far from a muscle man but surely never had "sand kicked in my face". what were the polish thinking, do their soldiers really have "bionic" trigger fingers?

overall I think it will be a decent gun to own after I order the springs and make a few adjustments. I thought the recoil was very manageable. the only time it was noticeable or uncomfortable was during DA shooting and that was only because I had to grip the gun so tightly to pull the trigger that I was feeling bone being jolted. I mean I was literally gripping to the bone to get enough pull. the sights are a bit small as is also a common problem I have heard. my hand fits in sort of tight and wants to push on the mag. a few times I noticed the magazine would want to drop a bit out of it's snug fit although not enough to release or cause any problems with shooting. but again overall, with the exception of the injury, I think things went ok. will order the springs and I'm sure I will have a few questions installing. the tutorial I read and explanations look easy enough to follow. will keep everyone informed.
oppy

Post by oppy »

All,

I finally replaced my hammer spring with the 18# spring and will take it to the range to test it soon. Quick question...At the top of the post the spring sits on is a spacer. I COULD NOT get the pin in with the spacer on. Removing it gave me just the play I needed to eventually reassemble.

My question is, is the configuration without the spacer acceptable?

I would really appreciate one of you usual suspects to chime in with your expert advise!

Thank you
Last edited by oppy on March 6th, 2009, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

It's acceptable I.M.H.O. but may lead to light strikes or the mag catch letting the mag drop down when you shoot it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Oppy

yes it needs the spacer, it has to do with the length of the spring when depressed

go here to put spring in
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1584

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
oppy

Post by oppy »

PshootR/Normsutton,

Thanks for the input. I guess I will quickly reinstall the washer just in case.
Using the wire to keep the mag release locked on the post should help the re installation. I was holding the sub assembly together with my hand and then aligning the pin hole to that on the frame...it worked (barely) but what a pain :-/.

Everyone have a great weekend!
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
big54r

Post by big54r »

I just ordered a hammer spring pak and a recoil spring, I been putting it off but finally did it.

when I get the springs I will also polish up all metal touching pertinant parts to make it all more smooth.

I'll be using Norm's board tutorials also.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

well guys another success story here after following norm's excellent tutorial. yesterday replaced the "bionic finger" factory spring with a mere mortal at 18lbs and it made all the difference. this morning had time for 50 rds and was shooting out center target better than anything short of a 22. I am getting comfortable with this little babe after a grand total of 73 rounds through it so far. I need another one.......... thanks norm for making it all seem so simple.
rick

Post by rick »

Hello, I'm new to the board but have read quite abit here and learned a whole lot. Thanks to everyone.

I got an excellent P64 awhile back and will be putting a Wolf spring in it soon. Anyway, when I got it, the DA was the worst I've ever seen. I thought I'd made a big mistake getting it. I started dry firing it with my off thumb on the hammer so it wouldn't fall full force. I don't know if any of you have tried this but after several nights in front of the TV and a very sore finger, it's really smoothed out. Still needs work but it's a huge improvement.
sirrie

Re: VERY hard DA trigger pull

Post by sirrie »

Hi, I am a new to the forum and find the articles enlightening
I recently bought an P64 and put a Wolff recoil spring before ever firing the gun (was hard to put on but managed w/o dressing the spring). Shooting was excellent, the gun didn't slap and was very controllable and accurate -love the gun.

The double action pull was awful though so now I want to replace the main spring.

My question: How do I access Norms's link for installation instructions:
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1179953781

The link required one to log in but doesn't like my login name/pwd.

Thanks

Sirrie
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VERY hard DA trigger pull

Post by dfunk »

Hi sirrie,
This post ( http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536 ) has the documents for assembly/disassembly, and also has info on replacing the mainspring. You can also view step by step instruction on the website itself www.p64resource.com/fixes.php