Grip advice...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
primarchbentley

Grip advice...

Post by primarchbentley »

I'm still running with my P-64 as I first picked it up, plastic grip w/ thumb-rest. Unfortunately, she bites me in this 'as is' condtion.

Namely, the most comfortable, 'natural' feel for holding the gun, places my lower thumb joint near a corner of the backstrap. So when I fire, if I'm not paying attention to my grip the recoil goes right to that joint, and 2-3 shots like that are usually enough to make me call it a day. I haven't had this problem with any other pistol, just the P-64.

Now, I haven't replaced springs yet, but does anyone have suggestions on grip? It seems that if I put on a thicker grip, that would change my hold enough. Any recommendations on grips that would increase thickness over the standard grip, and preferably be thumb-rest-less?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Grip advice...

Post by normsutton »

primarchbentley

http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=P ... -64-models

email him early in the morning from 4 to 6 est

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Grip advice...

Post by beasleydano »

I have grips by Chris Bond and Dennis Marschalko and like them both. They will take some of the bite out of the recoil for sure. BTW I have some Dennis grips for sale.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Grip advice...

Post by blinddog »

I was at the range today and at some point broke off a large section of the left grip just under the frame at the hammer. These are some really nice looking dennis grips that have been on the range twice. Has any one had this problem?
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Grip advice...

Post by blinddog »

Oh, beasleydano what kind of dennis grips ya want toi sell?
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Grip advice...

Post by beasleydano »

Checkered red finished wattle grips. See my post in WTS section.
rick9plus

Grip advice...

Post by rick9plus »

Blinddog, I have a beautiful set of new, light wattle grips from Dennis that have cracked at the upper top of the left grip under the hammer... same as yours. This happened after firing only 12 rounds through the gun with the wood grips.

I have not emailed Dennis yet about the problem, but I would like the grips (at least the left one) replaced. It bothers me that this happened, especially with so few shots fired and no other abuse.

Maybe Dennis can come up with a solution to the grip breaking at this point, as it appears to happen occasionally. The grips are beautiful... but they need to be stronger near the hammer.

Dennis, if you read this, can you get back to me about my grip problem?

Thanks,

Rick
rick9plus

Grip advice...

Post by rick9plus »

I just found some great info on Dennis' breaking grip problem. It is in the "Wood Grips by Dennis" thread in the "Buy-Sell" section.

It appears that Dennis has come up with a new solution to keep his grips from twisting and breaking near the hammer.

Everyone seems happy with his solution AND for his great customer service in dealing with the problem. I hope mine goes as well.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Grip advice...

Post by devlinfaust »

PrimeArchBentley:

When I first got my P64's, the 'bite' was so bad, I used to say that if I couldn't defend myself with the first five rounds, that I would toss the assailant the pistol and ask him to put me out of my mysery.

I found out, by posting on this site, that I was holding the pistol too tight. It's a natural inclination wtih a smaller pistol and also one that has recoil. I loosened up a bit, and so did the bite.

The other two things I did was to have the Wolff springs installed, and I also used a slip-on Hogue grip. I hate the looks of that slip-on Hogue, but there's no rubber grips made for the P-64 that I know of.

With the Hogue slip-on and the Wolff springs, my P-64's are now almost comfortable to shoot.

Don't give up on it. These things are accurate and reliable. The 'bite' is the only real downside I've found.

Good luck.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Grip advice...

Post by blinddog »

I e-mailed dennis and I am sure he will reply. He is a nice guy!
weetabix

Grip advice...

Post by weetabix »

TG International has left grip panels without the thumbrest. Their price is reasonable, and their customer service is great. I had a slight problem with my order, and they were great about it - so good, I almost felt guilty for troubling them. ;D

I can't recommend them highly enough.

<a href="http://www.tnguns.com/warehouse/index.p ... c9b46">TGI link</a>

Hmmm... That link didn't work as I intended. Anyone know how to make a pretty link?
Last edited by weetabix on November 29th, 2007, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Grip advice...

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rick9plus

Grip advice...

Post by rick9plus »

A couple of days ago I emailed Dennis regarding my cracked wood grip. He wrote me back today and promised to send me a set of his new designed grips so I would receive them before Christmas!

Thank you, Dennis! If any of you members have been thinking about upgrading your P-64 with a beautiful set of grips, I highly recommend purchasing a set from Dennis Marschal. They would be a great Christmas present for yourself!

http://www.marschalgrips.com
Last edited by rick9plus on November 30th, 2007, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protector

Grip advice...

Post by protector »

Let me start by saying Dennis is a excellent guy,but I've had 4 sets to break,he replaced them no charge to me everytime.The latest design I have now but haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet.Torpeau, a fellow member has, and they also broke on his.I cannot recommend them for the P64 as I can twist mine back and forth about 2mm,therefore I know there going to break when shot.Until this design is completely substantiated, I cannot recommend anything but the factory grips,IMHO! :-X
Last edited by protector on November 30th, 2007, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Grip advice...

Post by rlj102468 »

Protector, I hate to hear of your prolems with the grips. I still have the set that Dennis made off of my origial grips. Maybe your gun is cursed! LOL ! I hope it gets resolved, Dennis has always made good to my knowledge. I would still reccomend his grips with full confidence.

Bobby J.