Wolff firing pin spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
lcberlin

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by lcberlin »

I did a search and couldn't find a solid answer. So, to ask my dumb question....

I received the Wolff 20 and 22 lb recoil springs, and they each had a firing pin spring included. Do I really need to replace the firing pin spring when I replace the recoil spring?

Thanks in advance!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by normsutton »

lcberlin

not necessarily, only if you get a slam fire, witch chances are won't happen with the P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lcberlin

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by lcberlin »

Thank you, kind sir!
lcberlin

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by lcberlin »

I installed the springs in both pistols today, and took them out for a test spin. Everything worked great, really like the DA pull with the 18lb spring, and the recoil is much more managable with the 22lb spring.

Thanks to all who did the hard work in figuring out the fixes here, and sharing them with people like me.
fritzhund

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by fritzhund »

I agree. This board is great, especially to shooters not familiar with the P-64 in detail. There are other boards, but the care that goes into the information and reports here cannot be beat, not to mention the questions Norm and some of the others must have answered a thousand times each!

As always, thanks, and have a happy holiday season.

fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
maddogrecurve

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by maddogrecurve »

Yes, yes, yes..........This is the best place for these pistols' owners to hang out.
mmafan

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by mmafan »

lcberlin

not necessarily, only if you get a slam fire, witch chances are won't happen with the P-64

NORM
So you do not need to change the firing pin spring if you switch out the recoil spring, assuming you do not get slam fires?
creature

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by creature »

Your original post says you bought a 20 and 22lb spring to help manage recoil. I did the same thing but have only installed the 20lb recoil spring. I have yet to shoot my P64 with the 22lb spring.

Have you tried both in your P-64 and if so, which did you prefer?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by normsutton »

lcberlin

NORM
So you do not need to change the firing pin spring if you switch out the recoil spring, assuming you do not get slam fires?
or maybe have trouble with firing pin

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lcberlin

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by lcberlin »

Your original post says you bought a 20 and 22lb spring to help manage recoil. I did the same thing but have only installed the 20lb recoil spring. I have yet to shoot my P64 with the 22lb spring.

Have you tried both in your P-64 and if so, which did you prefer?
I have two P-64s, and I put the 22lb spring in the one I carry and the 20lb spring in the 'spare' pistol. I like shooting the 22lb spring better, just makes the recoil that much more managable, for me. If I didn't know there were different springs in them, and did not shoot them side by side, I may not have noticed the difference, however.
brink

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by brink »

Hello folks! I'm the proud new owner of a P64 and have been voraciously reading all the fine posts you gents have been sending! This fine pistol is my primary CCW and I decided to heed all the advise and switch out the trigger and recoil springs for Wolff recoil and trigger springs The trigger spring went in without a hitch but the recoil spring seems to be giving me some trouble. It seems as ifthe recoil spring is too ....err.. fat(?) to allow the slide to go back on the frame. The slide just wont "drop" down onto the frame when I push it back and wont slide forward to complete the assembly. I made sure the larger end of the spring was on the muzzle end of the barrel. Any thoughts or suggestions??
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by normsutton »

brink

small end goes on barrel first , if its the 22 # spring the ends may need to be flatten

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by normsutton »

brink

and WELCOME

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brink

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by brink »

Norm,
Thank you for responding so quickly! I was hoping to hear from you. I made sure the spring went on small end first. It's a #20 Spring from Wolff. Still wont work... My brother used the exact same spring on his P64 and it worked without a hitch. I may just have to live with the original spring.

Cheers, Brink
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wolff firing pin spring

Post by normsutton »

brink

flatten the ends of the spirngs and then try it again

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage