Quick reload

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
milsurpcop

Quick reload

Post by milsurpcop »

I thought I seen a thread on a quick mag change somewhere on this forum. I had mine at the range and this is what I've come up with. This may already be the standard and as usual, I'm just a couple steps behind everyone.

I practiced this at my range. I was shooting right handed with left hand support. I kept the second mag sticking out of my left pocket.

When the last round is fired, I would slip my left hand somewhat underneath with my right hand. My right hand would be resting on my left palm. I would then depress the mag release with my middle finger (of my left hand which is still providing moderate support) and simultaneously pull the mag down with my index finger (which is on the tip of the finger groove curve). I let the mag fall, reload, release the slide, and fire.

I practiced this at home starting with (an empty pistol) the mag in and the slide open as if the last round was fired. I would have my son timing me on a watch. When he would say, "go" and I would make the change. After practicing a while, I could do it within three seconds. I was alone at the range, so I couldn't time it but I think I was still close to the three seconds.

Sometimes I don't describe or explain things well, but that's what I came up with. Seemed kinda natural. I could post pics if necessary. Thanks
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Quick reload

Post by papabear »

milsurpcop,

I do my quick mag change a different way, I'm right handed, when the last round is fired, while tilting the pistol about 45 degrees to my right I simply use my right thumb to depress the mag release and at the same time using my left hand to take another mag and insert it in the mag well while righting the pistol to the normal shooting position and use the thumb on my left hand to release the slide stop. This is the way I have done it for over 45 years as taught to me by my father when I was a teenager. Later, at one of the first USPSA events in 1987 in Berry Illinois I met a fellow Kentuckian, Ken Tapp who was in his 60's at the time and a national champion in the Senior division. I had the honor of meeting him, I had noticed his method of changing mags, if I remember right he was using a Caspian Model 1911 in .38 Super, and it was very similar to my method of changing mags. We talked about a few things and he told me that the method of changing mags is some what important, however, the most important thing was what comes natural to you and practice, tons of practice. So my method of changing mags is what is right for me and maybe not right for someone else.

Side Note: Ken Tapp knew my dad from shooting matches held in Ky back in the early '70's. I remember asking my dad about Mr. Tapp later and he told me that Mr. Tapp was the best shooter he had every seen or shot against in competition. As some of you here might remember, I have the 1943 Remington Rand 1911A1 that my dad carried in WWII while he was a Flying Tiger in a B-25 in the CBI that he gave me back a few years ago before he died, it holds a special place in my heart. I miss him always, but especially on days like today.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Quick reload

Post by trent »

I'm a righty, and do it different as well. (on the p64) I keep my right hand in firing position and keep the weapon pointed at the target, I take my left thumb and depress the mag release and have my left index finger on the finger groove on the mag to speed up the mag drop, I grab my fresh mag with my left hand, I keep my mags usually in one of two ways, either in my left pocket or the "change pocket" above the right pocket in most blue jeans (depending on the jeans I can fit one or two there). then I insert the fresh mag and rack the slide with my left hand on top of the slide with my left thumb pointing back at me.

haven't timed it yet but it sounds fun, I wonder who can get the best time.
weetabix

Quick reload

Post by weetabix »

Papabear- Are you shooting something with a mag release button up by the trigger guard? How do you do it with the mag release at the bottom.

I do mine like Trent, though I haven't practiced for speed. That might be fun.