no extraction

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
steelblade

no extraction

Post by steelblade »

I was cleaning my p-64 and tried to run a mag through it, but it kept jamming. It looks like the extractor is the problem. It either doesn't extract the previous round, or it doesn't fully close. I took a needle nose and (Very carefully so to not indent or scratch) moved the extractor back and forth a bit to make sure I was getting motion in it.

No luck, though. I got motion, and thought it was maybe sticking, but no change.

I tried both the silver bear stuff with the aluminum cases, as well as some MFZ with the brass cases, no difference on either.

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by steelblade on August 12th, 2007, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

no extraction

Post by blinddog »

I don't have a clue, but wait til Norm or bzinggg or some of the other guys get on line and they will probably be able to help you out with no problem. Is your round jamming in the tube? Is the shell pointed upward or straight in or what? Just curious. Does it do it on the first round only or all of the roungs?
pshootr

no extraction

Post by pshootr »

You need to remove your extractor, extractor spring and plunger and clean them and the channel they operate in with brake cleaner and a Q-tip. Just don't get the cotton on the Q-tip or anything else stuck down in the channel. Do you mean that you were cleaning it after you shot it? How did it do on the range? Any jams? Unlike other semi-auto pistols the extractor of the Makarov and the P-64 must snap over the rim of the shell casing AFTER the cartridge is already fully chambered.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

no extraction

Post by normsutton »

steelblade

WELCOME
download the manual

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1180205461

use a plastic bag that you can get both your hands and the gun in , take gun apart and clean every part
some of these guns need a lot more cleaning than just soaking,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
steelblade

no extraction

Post by steelblade »

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Blinddog, the shell stays in. It either doesn't extract, or the slide doesn't fully close.

Pshootr, I'll try that ASAP. Busy life. gets in the way, doncha know. :)

Normsutton, Got em downloaded. Sure they will help. :)

Usually I boil my guns, most of which are black powder revolvers. My ruger responded well to it. I'll try that first, and if the problem continues I'll break it down as pshootr said.

Thanks again!

ps: I know I promised pictures months ago, I'll see if I can steal a minute or so this weekend to get them.
steelblade

no extraction

Post by steelblade »

Boiled it, didn't quite work, too many little parts buried deep inside.

Broke it down, almost lost the safety spring (any way to weaken that a tad? Some days I need pliers to flip the safety on and off.) soaked the top slide and parts thereof in powder solvent overnight, then boiled again. Now it functions.

Still have ammo problems, the alum shell silver bear stuff doesn't take handling well, as the damaged rims show. Just load them the once and shoot them. Any loading, racking, unload, and the blessed things get the rims all bent up and won't process.

The MFS (Or so it says on the rim) ball ammo with the brass shells is a bit bigger in overall size and always catches when I try to rack my way through a magazine. Except for not clearing the port, they always close all the way and always pulls it out.

Long story short (Too late!) the extractor seems fine, but I am going to pick up some pipe cleaners for the next time I clean it. Need to get into those nooks and crannies better.

Tommorrow is a free day for me most all day. I'll take those pictures I promised, and throw in the ruger and the rest of the boys while I'm at it. :)
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

no extraction

Post by bzinggg »

steelblade,

Any mechanical device, like the safety on a pistol, should not be forced unduly with a pair of pliers if it is not working properly. To do so probably will cause damage.

Maybe this topic will help you get to the bottom of your safety problem:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1186900948

Add edit: I see above that Norm had already given you this link.
Perhaps you missed the part about the damage you can do by forcing the safety.

bZ.
Last edited by bzinggg on September 2nd, 2007, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelblade

no extraction

Post by steelblade »

steelblade,

Any mechanical device, like the safety on a pistol, should not be forced unduly with a pair of pliers if it is not working properly. To do so probably will cause damage.

Maybe this topic will help you get to the bottom of your safety problem:

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1186900948

Add edit: I see above that Norm had already given you this link.
Perhaps you missed the part about the damage you can do by forcing the safety.

bZ.
Yep, I missed it. I don't use the safety except when initally loading and racking the first into the chamber. Next time I have to break it down for cleaning, I'll look at the safety for the serrated edges mentioned. I have a B&D wizard that will polish it up if needed.

Thanks for the heads up. :)
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

no extraction

Post by bzinggg »

::) :)

OK, good buddy. Read it one more time.....

;)