Sear/sear spring problem and fix

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ohmysac

Post by ohmysac »

I'm at it again. I found another problem with my p64 and subsequently fixed it. The problem presented itself when dry firing (with snap caps of course) in double action. I pulled the trigger, hammer moved back and released. I then released my finger from the trigger and reapplied it to dry fire again. The trigger would not operate the hammer, it moved freely. After taking the grips off I noticed that the hammer had moved past where the sear could engage it. In other words the hammer came to rest too far forward for the sear to engage it. I then wiggled the trigger a bit and it made an audible "click". The sear had engaged the hammer and double action worked fine a few more times. Then, the problem reared it's ugly head again. My concerns were that if i really needed to fire this gun in self defense, could i rely on it with this problem? I came to a quick conclusion of NO! and tried to figure out why this was happening.

I believe the sear spring is the culprit. Part number 13 in this diagram: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/d ... n/0P64.jpg.

I could visibly see it malfunction with the slide off by looking down onto the mechanism. The sear spring wasnt putting enough pressure on the top of the sear for the bottom of the sear to catch the hammer quickly enough every time. So, I searched around for a similar sized spring that was a little stronger than my original.

I am a collector and builder of AK type rifles and have lots of parts. An AK disconnector spring was about the right diameter and a little beefier. It was about twice as long so I cut it to the same size as my original sear spring with the "file and snap" method and installed it. The problem has not presented itself again and there is no appreciable difference in double action trigger pull.

It worked for me. Just passing along some more information.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

ohmysac

good fix

thank you for info

I think you could use a firing pin spring also for a P-64 or a PA-63

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ohmysac

Post by ohmysac »

Norm,
I thought of that. The firing pin springs are a little too big and not strong enough (at least for my purposes). But I agree with your "use what you have on hand" mentality. I am much that way myself. Heck, I even thought of taking apart some ballpoint pens for their springs :D
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I don't know all the particulars, of course, so this is a general comment to the greater population not familiar with P-64s, not intended as a criticism: Proper cleaning and lubrication may well clear up operational and functional problems, before any replacement springs or other parts are called for. On the P-64, this is particularly true of the triggerbar, trigger group, and safety lever. (see many previous posts in a search for extra help)
ohmysac

Post by ohmysac »

bzinggg,
I indeed inspected then properly cleaned and lubricated the firearm. I thought by giving it a good cleaning and lube the problem would disappear. It didn't so I had to go to more drastic measures. Thanks for pointing that out though. I wouldn't want anyone to go replacing something they really didn't need to.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

ohmysac

couldn't agree with you more on (use what you have on hand or can get )
and I have used ball point pen springs for other application in other guns and other things
ACE hardware has a nice selection of springs , made a lot of flat spring's from saw blades
heat them up with torch bend them to shape .then put them in casting oven to temper

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage