PA-63 question

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Hi to all. Great forum!!!!

I have a PA-63 that I am having problems putting back together.
I was replacing the FP, recoil spring and hammer spring. No problems with replacing these. The problem I have is there is small piece that came out when I removed the Extractor assembly and Safety sleeve with spring. It is a small piece that is flat on one end and cone shaped on the other end. Not sure which end (extractor or safety) it goes and if the flat or cone end faces out. I believe it goes behind the safety sleeve spring.

Hope this makes sense?

I also have a P-64 and Walther PPK/S which I have just successfully done the same steps. Haven't even shot the P-64 yet. Can't wait to do so.

Mort
Jacksonville, FL
Last edited by mbillups on June 12th, 2007, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

Mort

The flat end goes toward the extractor

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

Mort
PA-63 manual

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/manowar/images/PA63.pdf

NORM

PS. WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Last edited by normsutton on June 12th, 2007, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

PA-63 question

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Mort,
There is a plunger on each end of the spring.
The plunger on the extractor end is notched on the end facing the extractor and has a turned down shoulder on the opposite end to fit the ID of the spring.
The plunger on the safety end is flat on one end and conical on the other. The conical end faces the safety as this is the detent that engages the notches in the safety.
I find it easiest to assemble the spring and plungers in the slide without the extractor in place. Refit the safety then pull the extractor plunger back with a small screwdriver or pick and slip the extractor back in place.
Hope this helps.

Dave
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Thanks to all. I think I understand. So I need to install the Stud (non tech term) followed by the spring and safety spring sleeve into the Safely side? The sleeve is pretty much flat with an open end that the spring fits in. I didn't see the stud/plunger come out. Just found it. I knew it came out of the extractor/safety tunnel.
It just proves that you really really need to look closely at every part. Might start taking pictures next time.

I have only put 25 rounds through it and found that the DA was the hardest I have ever experience. This includes the P-64.

Thanks again. I'll et everyone know how the PA-63 and P-64 shoot.

Mort
Jacksonville, FL
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

Mort

WOLFF has hammer & recoil springs for the PA-63

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/FegNF.html#PA63

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Thanks Norm,
Looking at the diagram I am thinking that item 58 (safety pin) is the piece in question. Am I right? This to me at least appears that it needs to be inserted in the Extractor side before the extractor spring, extractor pin and extractor. Sorry for all the questions. I have ordered a book that is recommended on this forum and other forums. Thanks again.

Mort
Jacksonville, FL
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

MORT

Part 58 is the safety detent you need to put that in the slide first be for you ever put the safety back together after put the safety back together then put the spring in then part 59 then 60

if you need me to call you and talk you tough it I can PM me your phone # or I can PM you mine

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 12th, 2007, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Thanks for the offer Norm. I just may take you up on the offer.
I hope to take a look at it soon. I have been distracted with my latest purchase. A P-64 and CZ-82.

Mort
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

Mort
any time ,glade to help

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Ok I feel stupid. When I pulled out the FP I didn't noticed a small spring and sleeve fell out. I just couldn't figure out where they came from.
Its amazing how well I can ignore the obvious! I kept looking at the small whole drilled into the FP cam and thinking maybe that's where they go. No that’s to easy. Even the PA-63 diagrams shows both pieces orientated between the FP and slide. Anyway its back together, springs have been replaced. Ready for the range.
Thanks for listening to me. Going back to my corner now.

Mort
Last edited by mbillups on June 15th, 2007, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

PA-63 question

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Mort,
You didn't mention what pound springs you used as a replacements and we definitely need a range report. :)
Gunney Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 25th, 2007, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbillups

PA-63 question

Post by mbillups »

Opps, thanks for the reminder.

13lb recoil and 11lb hammer spring. The DA trigger is usable now.
Still a little hard like my ppk/s but that's actually a good thing.

I had two FTGTBs with HP (6 mags) and no FMJs (3 mags). I hadn't planned on shooting that much HPs but the second box I opened was HPs and not FMJ as I thought.

DA accuracy is excellent. I really enjoyed shooting it and recoil is noticeably less.

Next time I go I will pay more attention to ammo count and what mag I am using.

Other than the springs the pistol is original. Just the normal cleaning and lubrication.

Mort
Last edited by mbillups on June 26th, 2007, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmysac

PA-63 question

Post by ohmysac »

I have a pa-63 and did the same thing you did. Disassembled and the extractor parts came flying out. Strange thing though. My pistol doesn't have a safety plunger as pictured in the diagrams. Instead it has a small ball bearing. It had me so confused when I went to put it back together looking at the diagrams wondering where the ball bearing was supposed to go. Anyone else have a ball bearing instead of a plunger?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

PA-63 question

Post by normsutton »

ohmysac

of all the ones I've seen I have never seen one with a ball bearing in a PA-63 don't see why it wouldn't work though, in fact if I remember right there are some other pistols that use a ball bearing to do the same thing
just can't remember what they are right now

To keep springs from flying on over the place , take a see though plastic bag that you can put the gun and both hands in, take gun apart in the bag, this is not my idea this is one the member of this forum and it works. I wish I remember who (lol)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage