Ammo

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo

Post by blinddog »

I have read that some people have trouble with their P-64 digesting JHP. IMO Hornady makes some pretty darn good ammo. It costs al little more( around $13.00 for 25) But in my mind, if someone needs to be shot, they deserve to be shot with the best ammo possible. Just thought I'd share.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo

Post by grayfox »

Mine eats Hornady like candy. Great defense rd.
stibnite

Ammo

Post by stibnite »

Anyone got any links to good prices online for the Hornady? Or maybe the S&B FMJ? (can only shoot brass FMJ at my range >:( )
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo

Post by nbender »

Georgia Arms loads the Hornady XTP 95-grain bullet with Starline brass to about the same specs as Hornady does, at a lot less cost:

Hornady 95-Grain XTP (20 rounds tested through a chronograph)

OAL (ins)
Range: 0.933 – 0.940
Avg: 0.939

Velocity: (fps)
Range: 908 - 956
Avg: 934
ES: 48
SD: 15

Georgia Arms 95-grain XTP (15 rounds tested)

OAL (ins)
Range: 0.946 – 0.953
Avg: 0.949

Velocity: (fps)
Range: 872 – 967
Avg: 922
ES: 95
SD: 27
tmann11

Ammo

Post by tmann11 »

When I go to the gun shows I always buy Georgia Arms ammuntion. They have a good reputation and I've never had ANY problems with any caliber.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo

Post by normsutton »

at the last gun show in Lakeland that Georgia Arms ammunition attended
they were loading their 9 x 18's with gold dot bullets witch is another fine bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammo

Post by nbender »

Hey Norm, you made me look.

Georgia Arms used to make the 9x18 with the Speer Gold Dot 90-grain bullet (they've always incorrectly listed it as 95-grain). Last year about this time they told me they couldn't get any more Gold Dots from Speer, it was on a long backorder, so they switched to making 9x18 with Hornady's 95-grain XTP HP.

I called them this morning. They had recently received a small shipment from Speer and built some 9x18 with the Gold Dot. Now, once again, they can't get Gold Dots. The unfortunate news is now they can't get Hornady XTPs either, so they currently don't have any HP in stock.

I will call again next week when the person who does their ordering is back so he can tell me when they expect to make HPs again.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Ammo

Post by normsutton »

NB
don't remember what grn. bullet they were, just know they had some there at the gun show it was ether the last show or the one before and they were marked gold dot we have a gun show every other month next time I go to one I'll make a point on looking again

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammo

Post by trent »

I saw them last time I went to the gunshow near me (it makes since they'd be there since I'm in Georgia) I was about to purchase a pack but found a guy selling 94grain silverbear hp for 8.95 a box of 50, so I jumped on it.
saands

Ammo

Post by saands »

All my handloads use the Hornady XTP-HP ... they seem to work well in all the P-64's that they've met. 920-940 fps ... I didn't realize these factory loads were travelling so slowly ... no wonder my handloads feel spicy ... and no wonder the mag spontaneously ejected with the wimpier PP hammer springs!

Saands
sgtn

Ammo

Post by sgtn »

I bought 1,000 rounds of 9x18 Mak. at Southern Ohio Gun for $175.00+$18.00 shipping. Figures to $9.65 per box for 95 gr. FMJ that says "+P" on the box (MFS from Hungary). Best part is that it's Boxer primed brass and reloadable. My local gunshop had a clearance on bullets, and was able to get 6 boxes of bullets (600) for $42 (Speer, Sierra & Hornady). Last time I was at the Big Tulsa gunshow (last April), there was a vendor selling Brown Bear FMJ for $7.00 per box, Silver Bear for $8.00 per box, & Silver Bear JHP for $8.00 per box. Hope he's there in October. :D

BTW, EVERYTHING that I've put through my P-64 has fed: Brown Bear FMJ, Silver Bear FMJ & HP, MFS FMJ, Hornady XTP JHP. Not a single malfunction. Have a 18 lb. hammer spring, & 20 lb. recoil spring from Wolff installed, and have consistant ignition. Makes for a fine carry gun!