Won't fire DA with round chambered...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
rockpaperscissors

Post by rockpaperscissors »

Not exactly sure what the issue is here. ???

If the P64 is empty...the DA pull works fine.

But if there's a round chambered or an empty casing inserted the trigger pulls straight back like the safety is on.

Anyone have any ideas?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

rockpaperscissors
your slide is not completely closed or not in full battery

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Assuming slide IS fully forward, this sounds very much like the disconnector is binding in the down (out of battery) condition. Why it only happens with something chambered is a bit of a mystery to me. Remove the right grip and you should be able to see the disconnectors bottom part pushing the trigger bar down and out of engagement with the hammer. It may be dirty, have a burr/snag, and if I remember correctly, a weak trigger spring (which lifts trigger bar and disconnector when slide is in battery and/or safety is taken off) are among the possible culprits. Let us know what you find. John
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

you also might want to really make sure clip/magazine is all the home.. I always tap mine in firmly..
rockpaperscissors

First off, thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions!

The slide appears to be completely flush and where it should be. I've tried doing the "mag slap" after reading another thread about DA problems and the disconnector.

The hammer spring is stock, so I'm not sure that would be an issue.

I'll try checking it out with the grip off...still stumped though. ???
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Trigger spring, not hammer spring. It's not a very strong spring, it's all the way to the front of the trigger bar, and so the disconnector has a real "leverage advantage" from all the way at the back of the bar. Before I super cleaned and polished the disconnector to stop my similar problem, giving the mag a 'swift kick in the butt" would raise the disconnector, but the mag seating wasn't the real cause of the problem, any strong impact also knocked it back up. With the grip removed and the recoil spring out so you can easily cycle the slide, watch what is happeneng/not happening with the disconnector. Something is binding its travel. - John
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

My 76 had a burr on the shoulder of the pin that the disconnecter slides through and it would hang up. There were a few burrs elsewhere on my 71.
bruff53

Post by bruff53 »

I have one that is acting in the same manner. It will also display this bad attitude at the range while shooting but never during dry fire when empty. I have come to the conclusion that it is caused by the trigger return spring. Fortunately I had a fully functional P-64 which enabled me to compare spring resistance with the slide removed. Now I just have to find a source for a new spring!
Last edited by bruff53 on April 3rd, 2007, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Nice looking site your posting there Norm, I like it, and appreciate at the top were you left space for Zeeborg.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tmg

Post by tmg »

If you are pointing the pistol away from you with the slide removed then look at the right side of the disconector. It can catch on the safety lever inside the slide. There is supposed to be a very slight angle where the sharp edge of the disconector is filed off at the factory. Some are not filed and work. I have one that wasn't filed and did what you are describing. I filed it to match another one and that fixed it. It took about 1 minute because it is a very small ammount of metal removed. And yes they could use a stronger spring for sure. TMG
rockpaperscissors

Alright, here's what I've done:

1) Installed a new trigger spring from Norm.

2) Cleaned up the disconnector.

Unfortunately, the problem still exists.

I'll try looking at TMG's suggestion next, but there aren't really any sharp edges on the disconnector.
Last edited by rockpaperscissors on June 6th, 2007, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Looking at your excellent pics I can see that unloaded your disconnecter is in the fully up position and loaded it is in the fully down position. I removed the grips from my own P-64 and noted that the disconnecter spring seemed fairly firm and the trigger return spring was reasonably firm. I am wondering if you have a missing, weak or deformed disconnecter spring. My disconnecter requires a firm downward push to cause it to go all the way down like your second pic shows yours to be. I can't for the life of me figure out what the condition of the chamber, loaded or unloaded, had to do with it though. Here is an exploded view of the P-64: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/d ... n/0P64.jpg
You can "right click", "save as" and then enlarge it when you view the image on your 'puter.
Using the above pic as a guide I am wondering if parts numbered 12, 13 & 14 are able to move freely.
Last edited by pshootr on May 17th, 2007, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

rockpaperscissors
the only thing I can think of this early the morning is what kind of 9 x 18 Makarov Ammo are you using and are you sure you are using 9 x 18 Makarov Ammo and not 9mm ultraor or 9mm police
NORM
PS. IF YOU GOT SPINGS FROM ME YOU HAVE MY PHONE # GIVE ME A CALL
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage