Got my Wolff Recoil Spring today

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
threepdr

Post by threepdr »

Like the poster below I received my 22lb recoil spring today. It was a little hard to go it, but it did. The new spring is actually a bit shorter than the original, but the wire seems larger in diameter. At first the slide refused to go back far enough to engage the frame and reinstall. After about 20 tries it did. The slide is noticeable harder to pull back. Hopefully it will help the recoil some.

It also came with a new firing pin spring. It looks too large for that function. In fact it looks more like a hammer spring.

Is it worth removing the firing pin and installing this thing? I don't see how a new spring would be helpful there.

Thanks
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

I was looking at the Reloading section on H&A Forums and i saw this on the Firearms Inherent Malfunction section --"I've noticed that some recent S&W pocket guns have really heavy mainsprings. In the case of my M638 the trigger pull is so hard that I needed to do lots and lots of exercise to build up the muscles in my finger. :)
I installed a reduced power mainspring and things improved. You can lighten the pull by removing a few coils of spring, but it's much better to reduce the pull by installing a replacement. A light pull means nothing if it's going to cause misfires. "

Hah ! Imagine that. Even the high dollar guns are being "homesmithed" for lighter pull ! durrr
if i paid that much for my P64 ...... well never mind. heeheee
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Got my new 22# recoil spring today...boy, that is a bugger to get back together! As posted above, you have to get the slide JUST RIGHT to get it in one piece.

On the stiffer firing pin spring, I read elsewhere (barnett3006's post, I believe) Wolff included those to make sure the firing pin doesn't slam forward, due to the increased speed of the slide.

So, I got my 18# hammer spring installed, 22# recoil spring installed, now have to take the firing pin out to replace that spring (oh boy!). Did that once, am not looking forward to it again...

Will try this rig out Sunday at the range and report what happens.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I got my stuff from Wolff almost immediately after I ordered it--really fast. But I haven't had a chance to fool with it yet. From the looks of this, it's going to be a real job. I may turn this over to a friend of mine who is a lot more adept at this stuff than me.

4bfox, I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear how the range session goes with this. Thanks.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Thought that going to the 22# recoil spring wouild be a bit much, especially if the wife is gonna use it, or a weak guy like me. LOL. Think the 20# is the way to go, but we'll see.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I got my springs in yesterday. Put in the 22# recoil spring and replaced the firing pin spring (what fun). But I looked at replacing the FP spring as a chance to clean, inspect and regrease the safety block and such. To get the slide back on with the 22#er I had to put the muzzle end of the slide on the edge of the table and push down hard on the frame. I havent replaced the mainspring yet, Im going to the range monday and I want to see how the 22# RS and factory mainspring combo feels...I'll let you guys know. I bought all 3 recoil springs and the mainspring pack so the possibilites are almost endless. :)
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

devlinfaust.....I didn't mean to discourage you from replacing the springs....the 22# recoil spring is an exercise in frustration, but like my grandad always said "whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

Just follow the instructions you'll find on this site, don't get in a hurry and you'll do fine. I replaced the firing pin spring this evening with the one Wolff included with the recoil spring, and actually did it with a minimum of cursing, pinched fingers, etc. I tend to get a little "colorful" with my description of my projects, but with a little patience I get them done.
saands

Post by saands »

Hmmmmm?? Maybe it is because I've changed so many of these recoil springs, but my 22# spring just went together ... no table tops, not even any colorful language (like what happens when I launch those little captive springs across the room :o ... Racking the slide is noticable harder than with the factory spring ... that I agree on.

Saands
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Yeah, that could be true...this is only the 2nd recoil spring I've changed...my Bulgy Mak was first, now my P64.

Anyway, went to the range and I was very impressed with my newly sprung P64. This is more like what I'd read about...once I got used to where it shoots, it's a very accurate little pistol! I had no problem shooting a 3" group at 10 yards, and I don't shoot a lot.

Shot 50 rounds of Barnaul 95gr HP, and with the new 22# recoil spring it's much better. Also shot 50 rounds of TCW 109gr FMJ, and it's also much more tolerable than with the stock spring.

So overall, I think the new springs have made this little pistol much more shootable. No mag problems, no misfeeds, now it's a pleasure to shoot.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

I was looking at the Reloading section on H&A Forums and i saw this on the Firearms Inherent Malfunction section --"I've noticed that some recent S&W pocket guns have really heavy mainsprings. In the case of my M638 the trigger pull is so hard that I needed to do lots and lots of exercise to build up the muscles in my finger. :)
I installed a reduced power mainspring and things improved. You can lighten the pull by removing a few coils of spring, but it's much better to reduce the pull by installing a replacement. A light pull means nothing if it's going to cause misfires. "

Hah ! Imagine that. Even the high dollar guns are being "homesmithed" for lighter pull ! durrr
if i paid that much for my P64 ...... well never mind. heeheee
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

4bfox,

Thanks for the information. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I am sure that if I took this on, it would take a lot of time and there would be a lot of colorful language that would remain in the ozone layer for years. I do, however, have a friend who is generally quite good at this and I think I'll turn it over to him for this.

Very glad to hear that the pistol functions well, and that the groups narrowed. I think this is a good deal from Wolff if it works out as planned.

Again, Thanks....
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I've been to the range twice sense my last post in this topic. Once with the 22# recoil spring and the factory main spring and once with the 22#er and the 20# mainspring. I fired 100 rounds of Norinco green box and a mags worth of 115 gr silver bear at each outing. With the first combo the gun felt like it did with the cut H&K P-7 spring (without the zingy springy noise), pretty good. The second time with the 22#er and the 20# mainspring was fantastic, I didnt notice any increase in recoil from the weaker mainspring. DA is much better and I couldnt tell any difference in SA. Im really happy with this spring combo.
saands

Post by saands »

I just got back from my test of the 22# recoil spring and I liked it a LOT!!! It was my second trip to the range with my new wood grips and I am sad to say that they are not holding up. These were Dennis' CNC machined wood (I can't remember if these are the Wattle or the Walnut, but they are starting to crack at the top of the backstrap ... less than 150 rds through the pistol since the grip upgrade ... I'm afraid that there just may not be enough wood there to make it a robust design ... seems like some pieces of wood are up to it, but others aren't.

Saands
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

I'm hoping 2 order the 22 myself soon. Sorry 2 hear 'bout the stocks......................
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

It was my second trip to the range with my new wood grips and I am sad to say that they are not holding up. These were Dennis' CNC machined wood (I can't remember if these are the Wattle or the Walnut, but they are starting to crack at the top of the backstrap ... less than 150 rds through the pistol since the grip upgrade ... I'm afraid that there just may not be enough wood there to make it a robust design ... seems like some pieces of wood are up to it, but others aren't.

Saands
Sands,

The wattle grips I have on my Makarov are doing find, no problems, they are the one piece stocks. On my P-64 checkered wattle grips, I had Dennis not glue them together, to send them in two pieces, same as Zee's and the thumbrest and flat grips that came with the pistol. The fit is perfect and I have had no problems with my checkered watttle stocks after about 300 rds. Time will tell I guess, but as for now they are excellent.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER