Wood grips durable???

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
redfestiva

Wood grips durable???

Post by redfestiva »

I read in another forum about a guy who paid like around $200.00 for prehistoric mastadon tusk grips for a pistol. It was for a 1911 model 45 or the like. Anyway they looked really impressive but they too broke up upon firing the gun. I am in noway making any assumption concerning the wood grips that have sold on here but perhaps generally speaking, fancy grips tend to be best for collectible guns that are seldom fired and not as well suited for everyday use and frequent practising as the factory grips might be. Especially since the P-64 has quite a recoil to it. What are your thoughts ?
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wood grips durable???

Post by beasleydano »

I agree. Pride of ownership and the desire to have something a little different or special has caused me to have some custom work done from time to time. Some have been a great improvement but most have not. But to me, blue steel, wood grips and gunleather are just right together on a working handgun. A combination of character and tradition. Blue steel rusts, wood grips crack, gunleather rots. I still prefer blue over stainless steel, wood over plastic grips and quality cowhide, horsehide or bullhide leather over cordura nylon, thermoplastic or whatever is in vogue now.
saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

People are getting hurt and not saying how they did it to save someone else the loss in sales?
Sorry ... bad choice of words. I understood that the grips failed after the trigger was pulled and the pistol recoiled ... I was actually trying to find out if there was a specific style or material that was common to the failures so that if I had the same set, I could play it safe and restore them to the original condition.

I truly appreciate the efforts that people make (best efforts by talented folks) to supply desireable accessories for our P64. I'd be S.O.L. with broken left grips and interesting paperweights if it weren't for these efforts ... I just want to minimize whatever risks I can.

Thanks all,

Saands
magicdoc

Wood grips durable???

Post by magicdoc »

Mine were mesquite, and yes it happened on recoil on shot number three. Oddly enough, I had commented to my wife after shot #2 that the wider backstrap acually lessened the perceived recoil.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wood grips durable???

Post by rlj102468 »

I finally got to the range , and was able to put some rounds through my handguns. I put close to 50 rounds ( not record breaking, but a good amount ) out of my P-64 and my Bulgie Mak, both with wood grips, and had nothing but less recoil and better feel while shooting. If anyone has worked with wood before they would know how unpredictable it can be. Know matter how carefull you are it can break or have hidden defects that will show later in its life. As long as all attemps are made to correct the problem, there should not be a problem. I'm sure that a maker would not keep making grips if they felt that their products were dangerous and going to fail and hurt someone. This forum is close knit group and I would like to think that most of use feel the same way. I would not hurt my friends knowingly and do not think that many of the rest would either. Thanks for the rant space.
C-Ya, Bobby J.
Last edited by rlj102468 on February 28th, 2007, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
truth

Wood grips durable???

Post by truth »

The Black Walnut cracked on shot number three...
And that is exactly what I said above, You can't always speak your mind for fear of hurting someones feelings, Therefore we stretch the truth {lie} or keep our mouths shut about about alot of things on a daily basis.
truth

Wood grips durable???

Post by truth »

All Right,,,,Here is the truth....I ordered a set of HIMMEL'S SON grips made from black walnut. A kid making grips hell I carve myself. I received the grips took them to the range and the third shot blew out the back strap, and the webbing of my hand between thumb and palm. I dug pieces of walnut out of my hand and put on a set of ZEE GRIPS and continued shooting. Chris took the back and put a rosewood back strap on the same side panels. After installing them my slide would not move to the rear. I tried to alter the back strap. to allow the slide to go back, but no go . Two friends at work just ordered two p-64s from sog; Both came with cracked thumb shelf grips. I gave one guy a set of ZEE GRIPS, but both tried Chris's grip and they would not work on either pair of czaks.... Silly maybe??? Two tries on three different p-64s....Come on guys???
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by normsutton »

I have 2 pair's of P-64 grips from Chris and I don't know how many times I fired both guns , and I have had no problems,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
truth

Wood grips durable???

Post by truth »

That's nice, Norman!!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wood grips durable???

Post by himmel »

Truth, have you forgot that you sent ME the grip? There was no wood missing. I actually thought about gluing them and refinishing. They were cracked down the center of the backstrap. Your repaired grips fit and worked on my dads gun. I offered you a new set when the repaired ones didn't work, but you said you would call it even. At that time I thought you were quite an upstanding fellow. As always, you can send them back and I'll see what I can do for them...
Chris
tmann11

Wood grips durable???

Post by tmann11 »

So far, so good. I received my grips several weeks ago from Dennis and have shot about 500 rounds through them with no problems. Guns are like tattoos, when you get one you're already thinking about the next one. ;)

Thomas

garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wood grips durable???

Post by garry »

Anyone ever think of putting an oval 11 on the checkering? could be kewl , kinda like the star on the maks. G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by normsutton »

I got set of DENNIS beef up grips today

thanks

DENNIS

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on April 24th, 2007, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Wood grips durable???

Post by stibnite »

NORM -

So how is the feel of the new design compared to the old ?

stibnite
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by normsutton »

stibnite

I think I like them better than the old ones I think they fit my hand better too

it seems to wider between the thumb and index finger so I think that will help with the recoil even more

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage