Wood grips durable???

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

Finally shot my p64 with Dennis' wattle grips ... it is actually more comfortable to shoot and it handles quite nicely. I think that these are definate winners in the enhancement category!

Saands
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by papabear »

saands,

+1 on the grips, could we have some pic's "Please" ;D

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on January 9th, 2007, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

Don't have any pic hosting right now ... be happy to e-mail pics to someone that does ...

Saands
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wood grips durable???

Post by himmel »

Put them on Imageshack, works for me

www.imageshack.us
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by papabear »

PM sent ;)
POINT SHOOTER
saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

Papabear will post these for me ... thanks ... I'll look into imageshack as well.

Just a note of explanation for the pics soon to be posted. Dennis' grips are slightly different than the originals in that they follow the contour of the pinky extension on the mag. After installing the grips as received, I decided that I preferred the original shape that follows the profile of the frame and lets the mag extension protrude on its own. Since I had gotten them unfinished, this was a VERY easy mod ... you will notice that mine have less wood in that area than the other pics in the recent threads.

Saands
saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

OK ... I feel silly ... that WAS PAINLESS!

saands

Wood grips durable???

Post by saands »

Notice in the pic of the backstrap how Dennis "bookends" the grips so that the grain is symmetrical on the two grips ... I liked that touch.

Saands
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Wood grips durable???

Post by papabear »

saands,

You got "R" done, good deal. ;D Nice grips you got there, and now we will be seeing more pic's from you!

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wood grips durable???

Post by dolang1 »

Great looking grips. I also wanted to mention that it was very unselfish of himmel to tell you about imageshack when we all know that his son, Christian, makes grips for the P-64. Gives me an idea that himmel is a class guy even if he is a lawyer. LOL I'm going to send Dennis an email because I really liked those Mak grips with the star. Later Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wood grips durable???

Post by himmel »

Thanks for the kind words Don--but did you have to remind them I was a lawyer??? LOL!!! BTW, saands, don't feel silly--took me awhile to figure out how to do it... ;) Seriously, this whole forum is a class act...
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wood grips durable???

Post by anjdrifter »

thats ok my son was a lawyer then he went straight and became a history professor in ohio. you are right this forum is a class act as you are i agree with don
Last edited by anjdrifter on January 18th, 2007, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
destrux

Wood grips durable???

Post by destrux »

Durability really depends on the type of wood. Walnut is pretty hard and crack resistant. I'd say probably stronger than the plastic grips that come on most guns. The finish is very important with wood though, cause if it isnt waterproof and it soaks up water it will not only look bad but it will swell and get softer (and nick easier).

Image(click pic for full size)

I just made this set few weeks ago for my CZ52 out of some nice dark walnut, my first set I've made (ever), when I get another couple of hours free I'm going to make a set for my P64. It took me about 4 hours to make them. I got the hang of using a dremel router attachment and it works perfect for cutting the patterns into the back of handgun grips. Shaped the oustides with a 1 inch belt sander and some hand sanding. Finished with minwax red mahogany and sealed with tru-oil, very water and oil proof and durable so far.

That imageshack is easy to use... I never posted pictures before cause I thought it was complicated... ::)
Last edited by destrux on January 26th, 2007, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Wood grips durable???

Post by himmel »

Dressiest-looking CZ52 I've EVER seen... :)