Trigger does not engage.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
raygun

Trigger does not engage.

Post by raygun »

Hi,

New to the site; just got a P-64.

I'm having a problem with the trigger. Sometimes in double action the trigger does not engage. When this happens, the trigger swings free like something is broken. But if I wiggle and fiddle with it, it will re-engage and shoot fine for another few shots. Any ideas as to the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Ray
rodger58

Trigger does not engage.

Post by rodger58 »

Here's my experience:
Like yours, on occasion, double action would not engage. Just like the safety was on.
After checking and looking and pushing etc. I found that the disconnector was a bit rough where it contacted the sear. I worked it up and down (a lot)with the slide off.
Then cleaned and used some rifle grease on the contact areas.
Have not had the issue since.

Rodger
oneshot

Trigger does not engage.

Post by oneshot »

sounds like the disconnector is sticking somehow.!?

disassemble and clean the gun.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger does not engage.

Post by abwehr »

The P-64 is a fine weapon, but they were manufactured under communist rule, so some of the finer bits of polishing and assembly sometime don't get done until they reach the troops in the field.

When the P-64 is new, it definetly need s to be stripped as far as you feel confident in doing. Clean all the preservative oil off the pistol and re-lube. This will help the operation a lot! A to burrs on the metal, yes there are sometime burrs that need to be removed ASAP, but they are not bad and will wear off shortly.

Many of the items relating to the P-64 are very simple to resolve. If this pistol was manufactured today in the US. It had the interior surfaces a little more polished, it would sell in the $400-500 range. These are quality pistols, but need a little "spit shine" to glow.
raygun

Trigger does not engage.

Post by raygun »

Thanks for your help. Now I know what to look for.

What's the easiest way to remove the disconnector? That's the bar that connects the trigger to the hammer, right?

Anyways, seems like if I polish that bar and the frame that the bar rubs against, that it would not only solve the trigger problem but also smooth out the double action pull a bit more.

Ray
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger does not engage.

Post by abwehr »

I can't help a lot with the disassembly instruction, but there are a couple of other members that are P-64 Master Gunsmiths (at least I think so, LOL) and I am sure they can work you thru the process.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Trigger does not engage.

Post by normsutton »

Ray

If your trigger is swigging you may need a new trigger return spring send me your email address and I'll send you i diagram that you can print out

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jbailey

Trigger does not engage.

Post by jbailey »

Remove the slide and the right grip (unload first, of course!) You can see the top of the disconnector sticking up above the rail and its tail resting on the trigger bar. If things are dirty/gummy or there are burrs on the disconnector inside the frame, the trigger spring (which is not all that strong) cannot push the disconnector back up when the slide goes into battery.

Your trigger spring may be 'weak', R & R is tricky, but not impossible (see thread elsewhere for tips.) Disconnector R & R is a job for either the very experienced or very patient. I'm both, NOW! Good luck.