Range report after springs replacement

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
rodger58

Post by rodger58 »

I installed the trigger and slide stop springs from Norm. I installed an 18# PPK hammer spring from Wolff.
I followed the consensus here about not going too light on the hammer spring.
I made these changes before even firing it.

Well......
The double action pull is perfectly manageable now. I was firing 94 gr. Silver Bear fmj.
Accuracy was, as I expected from a pinned barrel pistol, excellent.
Not one failure of any kind. good solid primer strikes, no issues with the mag release.
It is now my primary concealed carry.

I still love my Bulgarian Mak but this little gem will be with me every day.

Thanks to everyone here who gave great insight on all of the tips and tricks to get the springs switched out with little or no frustration.

:) :) :) :)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

When I bought my first P-64, I got it for my collection of Cold War pistols. I never would have dreamed how accurate and nice these pistols are. When changing the spring and a little polishing, they are excellent. I still have a hard time understanding how some folks talk down about the P-64! The ones that talk bad about it have probably never fired one, or if so, it was new out of the box, not cleaned properly, lubricated, etc. Yea, the DA is heavy, but it can be fixed quickly. Excellent pistol!!
najaf

Post by najaf »

I left mine original for now. I like the fact the SA is not a hairy light liek 3.5 lbs break. Some say the SA gets lighter after changing the spring aside from the DA getting lighter? Have you noticed any difference? Im concern the SA will be too light be thats the case. thanks
rodger58

Post by rodger58 »

That's the interesting thing, I cannot perceive any reduction in the SA pull. It was already very light so I am glad about that also.