Removing glue

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by himmel »

As some of you know, my P-64 spends a lot of time in the wood shop being fitted with grips. The other day it turned up with something on the slide serrations that looks like some kind of glue--#1 son denies any knowldge as to how it got there, and what it is ::). Any ideas on how to get it off without marring the metal finish?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Removing glue

Post by normsutton »

RB

acetone or paint stripper don't let it on you or anything plastic
i have use paint stripper on a lot of antique guns to take off years and years built up crud shouldn't harm finish it will take off varnish

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
b52stan

Removing glue

Post by b52stan »

Himmel, I'd try WD-40 first, with a little rubbing. Amazing what it can do.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by himmel »

OK, thanks guys--WD-40 has always been kind of a miracle substance for me, but if that doesn't do it I have some stripper and acetone available...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

If the WD40 does not work, the Acetone will definetly remove any glue and not harm the bluing.

When I get some MilSurp rifle that is full of cosmoline, I finish off the removal process with Acetone and it does a good job!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by himmel »

OK--good to know! Thanks! (I knew i could get some help here!)
animalkracker

Removing glue

Post by animalkracker »

Here's another FYI mayonnaise, cleans up a lot of thing. It's made with oil,and lemon juice in it contains citric acid. A great hand cleaner.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Removing glue

Post by normsutton »

DON'T PUT ANY THING CONTAINING ANY TYPE OF ACID ON BLUEING IT
WILL TAKE BLUEING OFF OR DISCOLOR IT BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY LATER
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by himmel »

Hi guys--To report--Tried some "6-in-1" penetrating lubricant (didn't have any WD 40) and it didn't do muc--Paint stripper helped, but Christian got impatient, needed to fit some grips, so he wiped it off while I was letting it sit, so it didn't do the whole job. So I waited till we went to a friend's woodshop, used some acetone, and that pretty much did the job--used a toothpick to scrape the loosened stuff out of the channels in the serrations and wiped it down with WD-40 after. Thanks again for the info, will remember the mayo for hands--LOL!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Removing glue

Post by abwehr »

I had never heard about the Mayo, but will probably do some light cleaning. As NORMSUTTON stated, the citric acid will attack the bluing. In addition to the above, Mayo contains a lot of eggs (eggs and oil whipped is Mayo with some added flavoring), and if it is left on stainless steel overnight, it will pit it and eventually eat it up.

I must be good, as I remeber this from a science experiment when I was in the the 6th grade, and that was about 46 years ago! How about that for a memory, LOL!
tunnelrat

Removing glue

Post by tunnelrat »

I must be good, as I remeber this from a science experiment when I was in the the 6th grade, and that was about 46 years ago!
Careful! Yer gonna give away yer age... :o