bZinggg's introductory post

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Hey, folks! I'm glad to find this and want to thank an old friend, boeboe for wising me to the page.

I'm a genuine fan of the P-64, and own 4. Here's my attitude as I stated in a recent post on a different forum:

"I do have an affection for this much maligned little auto, though. The P-64 is so easy to carry and extremely accurate. I happen to like the extra heavy double action trigger pull because I think it provides a little more safety against accidental discharge, especially by children. I like the fact that it has a true decocker safety, that prevents the hammer from even striking the firing pin when engaged, allowing one to safely carry a round in the chamber. I actually never fire mine Double Action, electing instead to cock the hammer and fire single action, which is smooth and crisp. They are not popular because the regular routine for operation of the pistol is so different from the 1911 and other American pistols. If one gets used to operating the P-64 in the manner which I operate it, they will find it highly effective and reliable. The P-64 is one of best values available in todays American firearm market. The design, metallurgy, fit and finish far exceeds that of many of the more popular handguns today."

I hope I got my facts straight in that statement, because those are the reasons why I recommend the P-64 to others.

I'm looking forward to learning from this forum. Thank you to those who make it possible and those who participate. :)
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

THIS GUY MAKES A LOT OF SENSE...
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Bzingg, congrats on ownership of FOUR CZAKS! What are their dates? Do you like the models from the 60s or 70s better? Welcome aboard!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Thank you.

I've got two of the big hammered '73s and two super clean '67s. 8-)

I favor the '67s.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

bzinggg,

I agree with you too! As "CZAKboy" stated, you make a lot of sense.

When you get the time, go back thru the old postings, there is a lot of good information there on this great little pistol. I just don't understand why some folks malign it so bad. In my humble opinion, it is one of the best pocket pistols made!

So far, I have three; one each of the the three variations. Were you aware about the variations of the pistol?
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

abwehr,

I was reading your thread on that in the main forum earlier.
Prior to that, the only information on models and history I found were here:

http://hem.passagen.se/dadkri/P-64.htm?k

Though this page sounded realistic to me, it was interesting to note that the author described the barrel as mounted to the slide, when it is actually frame mounted. A slip like that can occur accidentally, even with knowledgeable authors due to fatigue or other distraction when writing so I did not discount the other information on the page.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

dickfunk,

Thanks for the link!
candrnut

Post by candrnut »

I'm new to the P-64 site. I've been collecting and restoring old military for years. I just finished an FN-49 (Egyptian, 8mm) that took about three weeks. I stumbled on the site by accident and after reading for awhile, got over to SOG and ordered a P-64. Mine came Monday without a clip. Got back to SOG and one is on its way. After reading some of the posting on the site I thought of one thing I could relay. I know it's old hat but a complete cleaning of what ever one obtains is a must from the start. I few years ago I bought a CETME with a new receiver. It was a bit difficult to get apart as they were compressed and drilled for the two pins with the new receiver. Once apart, I cleaned out enough metal drilling chips to cover my palm. Once cleaned and out to the range I had no problem, although, I understand many other purchasers returned theirs due to function failure. Three weeks ago I got an FN PS-90 and under "using the carbine" FN states "Never fire the carbine upon purchase without cleaning it first." So no matter new or old, first thing is a complete cleaning to avoid problems from the onset. I've noted, on the site, mention of the CZ-83. In my opinion, the best balanced pistol I've ever handled. Of over one hundred firearms that I own, the only one I keep loaded, for home defense, is a CZ-83 in 9x18 mak with a beautiful set of wood grips that took a loooong time to locate. I think that the 9x18 is a great round. This is the first time that I've ever entered on a site. I need someone to tell me how to post from the onset. I stumbled on this through the backdoor...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

candrnut,

Welcome aboard! As you can see, I am new to this forum, also. I have found it to be a very friendly and positive place.
To start a new topic, go to "main" and select a general category. When it opens "new thread" will appear as a link in the blue header field, upper right corner.
candrnut

Post by candrnut »

Thanks bzinggg... This is all new to me. My wife is better at the internet then I am. We were at the Great Eastern gun show in Louisville, KY this past weekend and of 3000 tables we only saw one P-64. Thanks again...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

candrnut,

And a BIG welcome to the Forum again! Hope you have a good time reading many of the very interesting thread from the past and we hope you will stay with us.

Your post about cleaning a new weapon is 100% correct. This should always be the first thing to do after purchasing. The P-64 appears to have an oil preservative which needs to be removed prior to firing. These pistols were made under communist rule and there is no telling how much gunk can be in their from the manufaturing process. I feel sure the Polish soldiers that were issued these had to tear them down for a good cleaning.

Please come back often
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

candrnut, Since you seem to be very knowledgeable of the CZ 83, Can you tell me the difference between a CZ 82 and a CZ 83. I have ordered several pistols from SOG and find the $249.00 price on the CZ 82 very inviting. Thanks and welcome. Don
candrnut

Post by candrnut »

dolang1, hello... As I understand it, the CZ82 came first and was designed as the Czech answer to the Makarov, chambered in 9x18 Mak for the Czech army. Following its success CZ started building the CZ83 as a civilian answer to the CZ82, chambered in 7.65mm, 380 Auto and 9x18 Mak.As I read, there is very little difference. It is the most comfortable and natural pointing pistol I own. The only one I keep loaded for home defense...
ghurd

Post by ghurd »

I am researching the P-64. This made me join….
“The only one I keep loaded for home defense”.

One? Will you be sleeping, cooking, checking email, watching TV, or in the car when you need it?
Will it be moved about between the TV and PC?
Will it be needed while sleeping or cooking?

Crazy ass circumstances forced us to recently obtain genuine CCW licenses, (we completed the OH requirements long ago)
But before any of that, the “loaded for home defense” exceeded double digits. High risk areas have 2 or 3, or more, available. Call us kookie.

Kids? You bet!
And they know enough to not be curious. They were forced to go to the range. They can handle one anytime they want (with supervision), shoot all they want, any gun they want, almost any time they want. Just like I was.
In my home a gun isn’t anymore ‘Feared’ than a steak knife or electric outlet. But they do know how one works, and “it is loaded” even if it is not.
No mystery. No mystique. No romance. No different than a hammer or coffee cup.
It is what it is, and that is all that it is.
No reason to ‘sneak around’ with anything.

Maybe that's just us