Remove magazine finger extension

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

Has anyone removed the finger extension on the magazine. It seems to me the gun would be easier to conceal without the extension. I tried to remove it, but stopped because I did not want to destroy the extension. Has anyone tried this, or have you done it successfully?
bobe

Post by bobe »

bkiles,
I removed the extention on two mags. I did not find a way to do and save the extention. It is braded together with a small metal insert molded into the plastic.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

bklies: why remove the magazine finger extensions. I bet there are 25 guys that would want them... post a note to trade yours for one of their plain.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

My son and I did not remove the extesion, but we cut/sanded/buffed it down to make it almost flush with the rest of the mag in front. Did it by hand, when we used a Dremel the plastic started melting...It didn't do much for the looks of the extension, we put some black shoe polish on it to make it look a bit better--but it did make a difference in how it fits into my pocket and my hand--both much improved as far as I am concerned. It looks OK, but the surface is not nearly as shiny as it was..more like a matte black now.
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

OK, I jumped in with both feet and did the mod today. I took a dremal and cut off the finger extension. I really like the way it turned out. I have always held the gun with my pinky finger under the extension anyway (hands are too large), so it feels the same when holding the gun. The extension is a dull black now, but thats OK. It sorta looks like the extension on my Wilson mags on the 1911. It makes the gun a lot more "pocketable". No more snaggin on the lip of my pocket. All in all, a very easy mod and I am very pleased with the results. Best of all, no money spent ! :D
rburt

Post by rburt »

Fairly new member here, only had my P64 for a few weeks. Was wondering if any other surplus pistol had the same kind of magazine foot plate but without the finger extension. It would probably have to have the spring notch like the existing plate? Just wondered if the foot plate could be switched to save having to trim the finger extension. Just a thought.

Love my P64, going to try the spring replacement as soon as they come in from Wolff. I don't mind the recoil that much, but only shoot 12 or so shots at a time and trade off between the P64 and a Buck Mark .22. Shoot one and then the other for a while.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Hey CZAKers,

I'm a little late with this reply, because I just recently joined. But I have four P-64s and 12 magazines, and two of them had part of the little finger rest chipped last year and I trimmed them with Concealed Carry purposes in mind, to, just by coincidence. I think it is a natural conclusion to come to. Here's how mine came out:

I shined them clear up to 800 wet-or-dry. They're not quite as shiney as the origional finish, but they look pretty good to me, and they are great for carry.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Nice pic--that's about what mine looks like now--and it does make a difference in portability, I think...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK there you go again,
See what you've done, you've gone and created another monster that is going to absolutely destroy several of my magazines that look perfectly fine now, gees I hate when that happens. ;)
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 29th, 2007, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luteai

Post by luteai »

Hello, brand new to the forum and the p-64. Thanks for the dremel melting tip. ;) I used a propane torch to melt off all the plastic of the mag floor plate, a second bent flat peice of metal is welded with 2 small tacks to the bottom of the base plate. Used a zip wheel dremel attatchment to take that off, and like magic, no finger extension to fight with my pinky. also reduced the print of pistol in my pocket. ;D