Import Marks

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
buggyboat

Import Marks

Post by buggyboat »

Hi,

I have been reading this board for a while. There is a lot of great information here. Thanks! I do have a question that I have not seen brought up. It appears that when the import markings were put on these pistols it left some bare metal showing deep down in the bottom of the letters/numbers. I see this and I think it may be a great place for rust to start. I rubbed some grease into them and think it is a great temporary fix. I thought about cold blue but don’t want to mess up the surrounding finish. Anyone got any better ideas?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Import Marks

Post by abwehr »

buggyboat,

Welcome to the P-64 Forum. There is a lot of good information from the past, so if you haven't already, read them.

Yea, I agree with you about the import marks! What I did was use Brownell's OxphoBlue for the stamps. The stamp is actually a pin stamper and this has a point in the bottom. I used a Q-Tip to apply somw light grease around the stamp area, and another Q-Tip to apply the OxphoBlue. What I got was coverage in the stamp and none on the rest of the bluing. The OxphoBlue is good stuff, but sometime it will cause a slight change in color to surrounding bluing, but only visible when held in the right light. If you use Birchwood-Casey blue, the grease trick may work there too. Just follow the direction on the bottle for application of the cold blue.
warthog

Import Marks

Post by warthog »

That is a darn good idea abwehr.
Clever as a fox you are. :)
fjblackesq

Import Marks

Post by fjblackesq »

i have several pieces with the import marks, i have just used a coating of"EEZOX" and it seals the surface so rust is not a problem.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Import Marks

Post by abwehr »

It is easy to put a rust proofing coat in the stamps, but I hated the small amount of "brightness" that shows thru. By adding some cold blue to the stamp area only, it dulls it down and makes it a little more palatable being there.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Import Marks

Post by papabear »

abwehr & CZAKboy, you guys both got it going on, that is exactly what I did to my import marks. I used the EEZOX first and then the Brownell's OxphoBlue, and it works great, and yelp, need to keep it off the original blue, great idea about the grease too abwehr!!! ;D
Last edited by papabear on March 30th, 2006, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Import Marks

Post by abwehr »

I have always hated Cold Blue!!! But there are times when it comes in handy for touching up small spots and the OxphoBlue is about the best I have used. Another semi-cold Cold Bluing is Blue Wonder; this stuff is REAL good. With it, you use some heat from a torch to get the metal to about 135 deg.F and apply the cleaner, wipe off, apply the bluing solution, let dry a couple of minutes and apply more coats. It takes multiple coats to get the shade to match (from 6-15) and then apply the developer, let set for 6 hours and then oil. I have been using this for bluing AK-47 receivers and it works great. If you have never seen anything about Blue Wonder, do a search on Yahoo and take a look, good stuff! By the way, their Cleaner will remove rust spots and not damage the surrounding blue; again, it is the best I have used.
buggyboat

Import Marks

Post by buggyboat »

Thanks for the input. I will give one or more of these methods a try.