pics of new wood grips

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
novgarod

pics of new wood grips

Post by novgarod »

Great photos, Nimble1, and likewise the continued excellent workmanship by Chris Bond. What was the choice of woods? I am very pleased with my grips (click on thumbnails above) :D. Was a lighter wood used for your backstrap or was that an effect from the flash? I wonder how many grips have been crafted by Chris thus far? Feedback? :D
Last edited by novgarod on April 8th, 2006, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nimble1

pics of new wood grips

Post by nimble1 »

The wood used was cocobolo and the lighter area is just a color variation in the wood..
I am pleased also and if you like wood grips..get a pair from Chris. ;D
Last edited by nimble1 on April 8th, 2006, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

pics of new wood grips

Post by himmel »

Hey guys--Thanks for the good feedback! Novgarod--I wanted to tell you--that was a great finishing job on the grips, Christian has adopted your wet-sanding method!! ;) Hope you don't mind....
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pics of new wood grips

Post by space »

Just got my grips today. They are Curly Maple and sweet...

Sorry for the crappy photo. I need to get some better lights. Flash is way too bright.
novgarod

pics of new wood grips

Post by novgarod »

Himmel, I am flattered that your son is using my finishing technique. It does fill the pores and one could still later apply urethane for increased durability. I have been looking at different woods and the "black and white ebony" is not expensive and has great contrast and pattern. What does Chris think? ???

Another subject - has anyone heard from Bartos lately? I hope he and his family are OK. He could have been called by NATO and/or is dealing with containing the bird flu that now is in Poland (as well as in many other European countries). He is an important friend to this forum.

Space, try shooting that Curly Maple in natural light. My wife said to show us "some backstrap"! ;D
Last edited by novgarod on April 8th, 2006, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

pics of new wood grips

Post by himmel »

Hey novgarod--
He has seen some stuff called "Texas ebony", sounds like what you are describing--not as expensive as the African variety, is mixed dark and light in color--I have told him I think it would make a nice grip myself, I think he agrees...just waiting for someone to order some maybe...LOL! If he ever gets caught up, he wants to make some grips from woods that haven't been ordered yet and put them up on the board for sale...and I want him to make a set for OUR CZAK...;)!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

pics of new wood grips

Post by himmel »

Space--Glad they got there OK! They still look good I see...BTW, don't you wish the importer hadn't had to add that "CAL MAKAROV" notation???
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pics of new wood grips

Post by space »

It was a great day. Got home from the Gun Show with a new toy (S&W 22A Target Pistol) and find my new Grips in the mailbox. :)

I'll get some pictures in the daylight tomorrow and make sure I get one of the back-strap.

I guess the 9mmx18 isn't a big enough hint of the caliber. Some lawyer probably made them stamp "Cal Makarov" on it so someone wouldn't blow himself up.
Last edited by space on April 8th, 2006, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pics of new wood grips

Post by space »

Ok, here are a couple of more pictures of the Curly Maple grips.

I left them big (sorry) so you can see some detail. I'm going to put tru-oil on them so they will darken slightly and more of the grain will be brought out ;D

Last edited by space on April 9th, 2006, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

pics of new wood grips

Post by normsutton »

SPACE
if you want the curly to stand out oder some CHROMIUM TRIOXIDE from Dixie Gun Works it comes in a powder form and mix with water don't the price my book is old.

C. B. dose nice work can'y wate to get mine

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
novgarod

pics of new wood grips

Post by novgarod »

Space, just a quick note to congratulate you on the latest photos of your curly maple grips. They also show how great the finish on a CZAK can be! The treatment with chromium trioxide, as suggested by Normsutton, is interesting and I will investigate for a muzzleloader project in progress.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

pics of new wood grips

Post by normsutton »

UPDATE ON CHROMIUM TRIOXIDE

Bought some curly maple grips for a CZ-52 from http://makarov.com/cart/52grips.htm

use CHROMIUM TRIOXIDI on them washed of with water #00 steel wooled them then put TUNG OIL then seeled wooled them again repeted the oiling and polishing till i came up with this hope you bcan see

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

pics of new wood grips

Post by normsutton »

GOT MY BOND GRIPS TODAY 2 P-64 AND 1 BR-61 HOPE I DO THIS RIGHT

THANK YOU

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
novgarod

pics of new wood grips

Post by novgarod »

Wow, Norm, no wonder C. Bond has been so busy lately - new saddles for THREE 9x18 pushers!

Excellent photo, by the way. It makes me want to see more. How about some details on the wood selected? Is that sculpturing on the 69 CZAK?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

pics of new wood grips

Post by normsutton »

THE 2 P-64'S ARE WALNUT AND THE BR-61 IS BYCOTE

HERE ARE SOME BETTER PIX

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/ ... p-64gb.jpg

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage