New P-64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
doug68

New P-64

Post by doug68 »

Hello just got a 1968 marked Polish P-64 and I love it.

After reading some of the posts in here I believe a wolff 16# spring is in my near future. (that DA pull is a bear).

I just shot about 25 rounds to test fire for function and I had a Little problem... the red paint? on the fire/safety/decock switch all fell off the first time shooting.

Is there any commercial stuff that you guys know of I could dab on to replace this?

Thanks in advance for a response and I really do like this little pistol, especially for $149

Doug
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New P-64

Post by abwehr »

doug68,

First, WELCOME to the Forum!!! Glad you had a good experience with your new P-64. The Wolff 16# spring should make a better shooting pistol.

As to the Red Paint, I use Testors model car Red paint. First thing is to clean the area well! Then use a toothpick to drop paint into the recess. Let it dry and use some nailpolish remover or acetone on a piece of cloth to wipe away any overage. I have also used nail polish to get the correct shade too. Both work equally well and are resonably oil resistant.
fjblackesq

New P-64

Post by fjblackesq »

Ole ladies finger nail polish does it for me. you can match any color you want from wally-world!!!
doug68

New P-64

Post by doug68 »

Thanks, Those suggestions should work fine.

I just love these old cold war era pistols. I also have a CZ 52. These pistols are quite a bargain for what you get aren't they ;)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New P-64

Post by abwehr »

doug68,

You are right about the Cold War pistols, they are nice. The CZ52 is one great pistol! It may be one of the ugliest pistols made, but one more powerful round it fires!

Not counting the pre-war Walther PPK, I had always thought the CZ line of small pistols were the best. THEN came the P-64; now it is the top small pistol to me.
heathen

New P-64

Post by heathen »

I use the Testors Model paint for stuff like this. If you want a lighter red color, add a dot of white before the red.

I just picked up a 64 about a week ago and just now ordered the PPK spring pack. The DA pull is bad but the rest is nice. :)

Is there a cure for the tightness in the DA pull just before the hammer is released? Or does the hammer spring replacement cure that?

I also need to find ammo for it because I have yet to find it local. Is Wolf OK or what works for plinking vs defense? What ammo do you use?

Hello all and thanks for any answers.
Last edited by heathen on March 1st, 2006, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
onapar

New P-64

Post by onapar »

I use wolf 100 grain in mine and it functions perfectly.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64

Post by space »

My Safety paint came off too.

I used Testors enamel to fix it. While I was at it, I added some white dots on the sights. Helps a lot.

Clean it good with bore cleaner or something that will take off all the oil first. I used a wooden toothpick instead of a brush to dab the paint on.

Last edited by space on March 1st, 2006, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64

Post by papabear »

Heathen, I use Wolf 100 in mine too, never had a problem.

Space, Nice work!
POINT SHOOTER
jbailey

New P-64

Post by jbailey »

Doug68 - Welcome aboard! See the post "Trigger harder at end of pull", down a few weeks, for some tips/ideas. Ammo? Wolf 100 is good practice ammo. I found some Barnaul 95 JHP years ago, for my PA-63, and 'hoard it' for carry loads. Hornady makes a good defense load at 95, but a bit pricey for practice. Frankly, I've never found a Mak load the gun didn't like, but anything over 100 g, I didn't like! But my 'frame' is at least 20 years older that the pistols!
heathen

New P-64

Post by heathen »

Thanks for the tips. Wolf 100 and search for Trigger harder at end of pull. I'll do a search now.