whqat is the # rating for the original mainspring?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ckruger

Post by ckruger »

If everyone is going to a 16 # replacement main spring spring what was the original springs rating? What is the rating for the original recoil spring and is there a replacement? Thanks, CK.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

There has been alot of discussion about what spring rate numbers mean, when applied to guns. Until I build a spring tester and measure for myself, I remain 'confused'. None of the explanations I've seen satisfy me.

I SUSPECT the numbers refer to the force necessary to do whatever the spring controls? For example, a Walther PPK DA trigger pull is in the mid-teens, according to my research. Having played with the stock P-64 mainspring a little and done some 'estimation engineering' of the lever arms involved in a P-64 and assuming a 25 lb trigger pull, the spring itself is a 'monster' if rated in pounds per inch (nothing even CLOSE to 16 #!)

The jury is still out there somewhere!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

jbailey,

Yes, you are right, detemining spring weights is confusing. I can't get to the site now, but if you will do a search for Century Spring, they have a great selection of springs, but they also have a small tutorial on springs, weights, etc. There is a lot of good information on their website.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

I went to the Century spring site and read their FAQs, etc. Thanks. An experienced gunsmith I spoke to today agrees with my current belief: The 'poundage' refers to the force needed to completely perform the motion in question (slide full back, DA trigger pull, etc) in that particular gun, subject of course to frictional differences and manufacturing tolerances between individual guns, which can be significant.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

"jbailey" has got it right! To find the correct spring for the particular duty it will perform requires more than just a particular function. You must look at each possible motion or action that is related to the spring. This is the reason I am waiting on Wolff to come up with the correct springs.

At Wolff, they deal with springs on a daily basis, and have done the calculations needed thousands of time so they know what they are doing. As to the Hammer spring, this one appears that you guys have got a good replacement, but the Recoil Spring is the heart of the operating system. If a too light spring were used, it could cause damage to the pistol or to the person firing the pistol. This is one spring we need experts to tell us what to buy.