trigger spring broke! please help!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
rambo91145

Post by rambo91145 »

hello all!
i have been lurking for quite a while and love my p64 but i really have had no need to post, just read. now i have a problem!! i was at the range shooting my p64 and all of a sudden the trigger went limp! :o it didnt return for the next shot and was loose. upon getting it home and taking it apart i found that the trigger spring that give it the pressure and is shaped like this
___o___ broke! one of the legs just broke off. where can i find a replacement spring? is this hard to fix? also i have notice the recoil is a bit stout. will changing the recoil spring around the barrel fix this? if so what is the best one? i read different posts about it but they were all kind of confusing. as you can see i am kind of new to all of this so i really appreciate any help you can give. thanks.
zack
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

The main (trigger) spring has a bunch of threads (and pictures on the main site) of how to change it out. Also instructions on modifying a H & K recoil spring to work on the P-64. Wolff gun springs has great service.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

The trigger spring is not all that critical. If you can find something close, using the pieces of the old one as a guide, a little cutting and fitting should get you back in service. A pistolsmith worth his salt can make one easily. For that matter, anyone with a piece of the right size spring wire, simple hand tools, and a little experimentation can do it (I have, but not for the P-64). This is going to be quicker than finding an original replacement.

Recoil: A different recoil spring does not change recoil, which is determined by gun mass, cartridge load, and slug mass. Blowback guns "kick" harder, fact of life. Keep your bullet mass in the low 90s. The heavier stuff will beat you and the gun up, no matter what spring you have. See one of my other posts under "recoil buffers", somewhere around here.
rambo91145

Post by rambo91145 »

thanks guys! i didnt realize the trigger spring was called the "main spring" i though the main spring was the one on the barrel. thanks for the clarification and the info. i will try to do the rest from here. what a great board and fantastic source of info. thanks again!
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Rambo, you still got it wrong! The trigger spring is on the trigger. The Mainspring is the hammer/mag release spring, located behind the grips. The recoil spring is on the barrel.
Got it now? There are P-64 pistol diagrams posted here if you need more.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Mikethewreck ("expert") started it when he used the term "main (trigger) spring"? While searching for an obscure MAGAZINE at show yesterday, I was amazed at the number of people who call it a CLIP! Oh well.......
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

D'oh! I do know that the main spring adjusted the trigger tension. I did not know there was another spring involved. Hey the forum calls me expert, I never claimed such a title!
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Mike - no offence intended, just a little humor? When I joined, I was confused by the number of stars, since there were 'generals' running around who were clearly novices (just like my 21 years in the USAF?) Now I know (I think) that the system awards us status based on the number of posts, not our expertise. I am probably reaching that point, if I haven't already passed it? - John
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

100 posts makes you "expert", should say "big mouth" to be more accurate!
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

OK Mike, I get it, thanks for the warning. For me, it means about 70 more before my mouth is big enough to put my foot in it. I'll get real conservative in my posts somewhere in the nineties. John
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

There was a guy on eBay stores who was (sob) breaking up P-64's (snif) and selling the parts. You might find a trigger spring there!