9x18 can it be reloaded using 9x19 equipment?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
ckruger

Post by ckruger »

Can I use a Lee punch and hammer reload kit with trimmed down 9mm para brass to reload the 9mm MAK? I know ammo is fairly cheap but I want a back up in case ammmo is hard to get in my area. Thanks, CK
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

9X18 bullet diameter is different. YOU CAN USE 9MM BRASS, BUT NEED THE 9X18 DIES TO RESIZE, and of course, trim to length.
valkyrie0002

Post by valkyrie0002 »

I have the 9x18 Lee dies and use dillons 9mm conversion kit. 9x18 bullet is larger diameter than 9mm luger.
callisto

Post by callisto »

I hopes that you are still checking this post, I have whipped out the handy reloading manual and compared both cartriges. I have come to the following conclusion: The conversion is surely possible, and very simple, as stated before, just use a set of sizing dies to enlarge the mouth and trim to length, check the mouth diameter again and resize a second time if necessary. However, it woudl be important to note that the luger case is actually pretty steeply tapered toward the mouth, with a diameter of .391" at the rear and .380" at the mouth, while the mak is a bit straighter at .392" and .390" respectively. This means that running the 9x19 brass through the die would be working the brass pretty hard, and likely reduce case life. I checked starline brass' website and found that at 500 units the 9x18 brass is only $4 more, and you would save yourself headache and (likely) increase brass life by a firing or two if you just buy the mak's brass up front.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!