Another Spring Question to Ponder

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Guys,

I was just reading the post from "triehl27" on another thread and one of his comments got me to thinking (I know, that is a dangerous thing for me, LOL) about the Recoils Spring. He stated that his pistol throw the brass a long way from his postion.

Most of us have fired the P-64 and found that the Recoil Spring installed really throws the brass a looooong way. Having shot many SA high power rifle, we would be cautious of the ones that began to throw brass a long distance. Normally, the brass should be withinn a couple of feet from the rifle. Handguns do about the same with spent brass.

If the P-64 is throwing brass a long distance, this means the recoiling slide is moving VERY fast to the rear and "kick" the heck out of the spent brass. What are your thoughts on a heavier Recoil Spring? This heavier spring should not throw the brass so far, and the best part, not provide so much "shock" to the frame and slide on firing. Now, a heavier Recoil Spring will cause the slide to be more difficult to retract, but would be easier on the entire pistol.

As I have always stated, I like to keep my firearms stock as much as possible because I feel the engineers that designed the pistol knew what they were doing.

Springs are really "funny" to deal with to get the results you want. Springs wear out and need to be replace when they are worn. One of the symptoms of worn springs is throwing the further that it was when new/near new

What are your thoughts on this guys?????
Last edited by abwehr on January 16th, 2006, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
raypol

Post by raypol »

The P64 blowback pistol was over sprung on the hammer to fire hard primers and under sprung on the recoil because of the stiff hammer spring. The total recoil resistance is a combination of the two springs. So, when we ease off on the hammer spring we need a stronger recoil spring. Wolff Gunsprings is supposed to address that problem one of these days when they get through dealing with their spring inventory for all the new Glocks, S&W and other mainstream firearms.
We need to keep asking them about it so they know there is a need for it.

jpb
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

justplainbill,

This was my thoughts exactly; you stated it correctly! I am always concerned about any mechanical movement that involves an "explosion", LOL! But seriously, with the lower weight Trigger/Hammer Spring, the Recoil Spring does need to be upgraded to keep the pistol from beating itself to an early death.

We all need to keep calling Wolff Springs to keep the ball rolling on getting us the exact springs or Spring Pac we need. I know on this pistol, I WILL make the change.

I do love this little pistol!
valkyrie0002

Post by valkyrie0002 »

I don't think these eject an excessive distance. I've heard the CZ-52 throws them into the next zip.

Both my Kimber Classic Gold Match and my new RIA 1911-A1 both throw brass as far as my P-64s. This is with my lower power reloads in both calibers. 10' is not that far. A properly functioning Fal should throw brass 8'+. My Cetme at least 8' with Indian ammo. My ARs about 6' with Wolf which is much weaker than Milspec ammo.

Just my opinion.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

The distance the caseing goes is relative to how fast the slide moves to the rear. Sometime you are using a bolt action rifle, try it. Bring bolt back real slow and the casing will kind of dribble out. Snap that bolt back and watch how the casing flies!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

You guys have made some valid points on this subject, and yes some of the other pistols DO throw the brass into the next zip. I wonder how much is in the Ejector contact and angle of the Ejector that may cause brass to eject long distances.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Guess it doesn't matter. It is what it is, and as I recall, when ssands installed the HK 25# recoil spring, it didn't have much affect on the brass throw.
We should be glad that it throws them out reliably, unlike a lot of other semi-autos.
JMHO.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

b52stan,

Yep, I think you got it right, "We should be glad that it throws them out reliably". As I have always believed, the designers usually knew what they were doing!