Safety and Detent

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Safety and Detent

Post by abwehr »

A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about the Safety Lever dropping when firing the pistol It was determined that some time, the detent spring was "Crimped" and not working properly. The fix was to remove the Lever, Detent and straighten the spring. I found this photo on e-bay of the Lever, Detent and Spring and thought it would be good to see: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... Detent.jpg
mongo

Safety and Detent

Post by mongo »

That thing is a mother.. my spring was fine but everything was still gunked with cosmoline or some kind of brown crud.

work those detents with a pointed stone and they will click a little smoother..
onapar

Safety and Detent

Post by onapar »

My safety was about as stiff as the trigger, I removed the slide and with the safety in the fire position you push the firing pin forward and using a fine small blade hold it forward by the ear on the side of the firing pin then you can work out the safety lever. Be ready to catch the detente spring and catch as they come out. I then used a dremel to round out the two center edges of the detentes then polished the whole thing with the dremel. I then used some light grease and reassembled in the reverse order. The safety works 100 percent better now. A third hand would really help with this job. :)
b52stan

Safety and Detent

Post by b52stan »

For those who are mechanically challenged like me, I just worked the safety lever on both of mine back and forth a bunch of times until the surfaces burnished themselves.

Both are now perfect, and I saved the swearing and wife beating that follows one of these disassembly "projects".

I have mastered the spring replacement, and found that one was perfect without the little washer, and the other needed a thinner washer to make me happy.

I'm saying that there is no one solution to keep the single action pull above the 3# level, but in mine, the 16# or 17# spring can be made to work. Some of these pistols and springs are a little different, but are easy to make really sweet.