Mike of the weird failures

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

Here's a new problem to figure out:

After I got my P-64 back together I take it to the range. Remember, this gun dry fired fine. I load it up. Pull trigger. Nothing. It is like the trigger is not connected.

Slap magazine on the bottom.

Gun works.

Every time I loaded a new clip if I did not slap the magazine after loading the trigger would not engage.

I replaced the 16# Wolff spring with the original P-64 spring. Same result.

Any thoughts?
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Okay... I'm just guessing from looking at mine... I wonder if the safety's hammer disconnector (on the right side of the hammer spring if looking at the back of the gun) is sticking on you, and by slapping the magazine, you're causing it to pop back up where it's supposed to be...

-Mark
Last edited by xelloss on December 9th, 2005, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

mike,

"xelloss" has a good thought, check the disconnector for any rough spots and lube. I have not looked at mine yet, but the little "lug" that the magazine contacts on the disconnector to disengage may need some adjustment. I have had this problem on some new pistols, and a slight "tweak" solved the problem. I bought one of the Spanish, BM 9mm pistols from the former spanish Police and Military; the pistol looked almost new, but did the same thing as your except all the time. A few head scratches, and looking at the firing mechinism showed the disconnector was bent out just enough that the pistol would not fire. A quick bend and has been [erfect ever since.

Now, more questions in another area ; when you slide the magazine in, does it lock in tight before slapping? Do all your magazines produce the same results? I was wondering if the magazine lock is off just enough to cause the magazine to not lock in place securely without the slap.

Normally on a semi, I always slap the magazine on the bottom with the heel of my hand when I insert it. When I was shooting combat pistol, this just became second nature to slap the magazine. It is embarrassing to have the magazine fall out as you fire the first round, LOL!
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Normally on a semi, I always slap the magazine on the bottom with the heel of my hand when I insert it. When I was shooting combat pistol, this just became second nature to slap the magazine. It is embarrassing to have the magazine fall out as you fire the first round, LOL!
abwehr,
My SiG P226 is the same with fully loaded mags... If you don't slap the bottom of the mag when you insert it, chances are it's gonna fall out, lol...

-Mark
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I handled semi's where the mag was so loose, it slid into the mag well almost too easy - and ones where the mag had to slapped or it would engage. I attribute these to high and loose tolerances when the machining was performed.

mikethewrecks problem sounds different, though. He said he pulled the trigger and nothing - no dry-fire and felt like the trigger bar wasn't even connected. We really need an exploded diagram of this pistol. Any volunteers?
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

Well, not knowing for sure (after assembling and reassembling the P-64), I did the quickest thing I know of to figure out what it should look like on tghe inside.

I bought another one.

Comparfing the two everything looks identical. I can see no bending or damage to any part.

I ran some Break-Free penetrating cleaner and lubricant into the mechanism. The only thing it does now is when the gun is first loaded and brought off safety the trigger will pull back once freely and then start engaging (no slap needed).

Coincidentally, the "new" P-64 did that to me twice on the range...
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Caution: do not over tighten grip screw!
I had a tight magazine yesterday, turned out that I had over tightened the grip screw and the mag was rubbing against the inside of the left grip.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Sounds VERY much like the disconnector is sticking in the down position after taking it off safe. The trigger bar spring should push it up when you take the safety off, but if there are any burrs, dirt, whatever in the disconnectors passage, the trigger bar spring is not strong enough. It's not easy to take apart for polishing, but I got pretty proficient at it after more practice than I like to admit.
polyanarch

Post by polyanarch »

Is the slide going all the way into battery?

I had a problem with one of mine where there was some damage to the slide face that was not letting the cartridge fully slide into and by the ejector/extractor. This, in turn, would not allow the slide to fully into battery until it was "whacked.

Check for burring inside the breach face opposide the extractor/ejector.