and some guns just use one spring to do both jobs

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
barnett3006

Safety dropping on while shooting

Post by barnett3006 »

You guys all had the opposite safety problem I did. The safety on my '72 was so tight I almost needed vice grips to move the thing. So...I took it apart to investigate. I found that the edges of the detent and the point of the plunger were sharp enough that they grabbed each other; I also found that the base of the plunger and edge of the plunger hole also had burs, and that the safety cylinder fit very tightly in the slide (even when it was in there by itself, no firing pin or plunger). So, I tackled one thing at a time:

1: With a polishing wheel in the Dremel tool I polished all of the contact surfaces on the cylinder until the safety rotated smoothly without the firingpin or plunger installed.

Then I put everything back together (first headache), tried it out, decided it was a little better, then took her back apart.

2: With the same polishing wheel I took off the sharp point on the plunger and polished off the edges on the detents, I also opened the detents up a little so that the working angle wasnt so extreme in relation to the plunger.

I did this in several steps, removing metal slowly so I didnt take to much off and putting everything back together (headaches 2 - 5) then taking it back apart to polish alittle more.

3: After all of that was done, the safety was still a little stiff (although greatly improved at this point) so I deburred the base of the plunger and the plunger hole (MIGRAINE!!!) Trying to get a deburring tool in there to uniformly debur such a small hole is impossible, I had to use a compination of a small drill bit turned by hand and a small pocket knife to do this.

After putting the safety back together for the final time (surprisingly, no headache at all) the safety is just as it should be, easy enough to move from safe to fire without tools and solid enough that the safety doesnt fall when at the range nor does it disengage when I carry my p64 concealed.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

BTW both the plunger and the firingpin spring went sailing across the room; the plunger miraculously landed at my feet, but the FP spring bounced of the ceiling, the wall, my table and somehow (after I turned the room upside down) I found it UNDERNEATH my couch.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

BARNETT

Next time you take gun apart where the spring might fly out of gun take the biggest clear plastic bag that you can fit both hands and the gun in and take the gun apart inside the bag and put it back together in it too

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 7th, 2006, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Bingo! Good call by Norm. :D

I did end up ordering the spring pack from Wolff that Norm suggested. In it was an approximate sized spring for the safety plunger (a little beefier, similar to my 1972's spring).

I cut it to what I thought was the right size. It was harder to install the plunger though, because the plunger didn't "fit" and hold on the new spring (if you've taken yours apart, you know what I'm talking about). For some reason it was very hard to get that little sucker to stay in the hole. I had about 3 attempts where the safety was almost in, and all springs shot out. On the 4th attempt, all the stars and planets aligned and everything went into place.

After the first attempt, I did cut a portion of the spring off to make the assembly a little easier. In my mind I could see this happening at the Radom plant, maybe this is the reason behind the problems.

Range report: The safety is now, as someone said earlier, "tighter than a bull's a$$." About 40 rounds, no safety drops. I'll continue to test it later on. 8-)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

stib

Glad I could help

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

So, over the past three days I've succesfully removed, ground, and re-installed the safety detent at least four times......I guess it was bound to happen. I was grinding ever so gently on the edges of the detent and all of a sudden...it was gone. Lost forever somewhere behind my workbench.

Does anyone know where I can aquire a replacement Detent for the safety on my 71' P-64?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

spyguy
go get a nail about the same size chuck it up in a drill turn it down to size with a metal file

heat it up tell cheery red drop in oil to harden

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

spyguy

That's what i did to this nail
if you want you can have this one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

Norm,

Thanks for your advice on this. I managed to replicate your modified nail, heat treating and all. The safety is now a little too stiff but still functions which is great IMO!!! I made the quick trip out to my local shooting hole to try it out and managed to fire 7 rounds in rapid succesion with no failures of any kind.

I'm considering this problem resolved!!!

Thanks Again!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

spyguy

get a set of hemostats to hold small parts , you can get them at gun shows and car shows

you may want to round the tip of your pin just a little to smooth out the safety

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

LOL..... I can't believe you suggested using a hemostat, that is exactly how I did it!

I was thinking that I should pull my newly made part out for a little fine tuning but honestly, I was a little worried that I might damage the safety mechanism by removing and reinstalling it so many times.

I think I'm going to try running a few more boxes of ammo through it this weekend and make a point to actuate the safety frequently. If that doesn't do the trick I guess I'll resort to pulling the detent again and filing some more.

*side note: I've been spending so much time on my new toy that my wife has become jealous and is now asking for her own P-64 for her purse-gun. Sounds like I'll be picking up another one here in the next few weeks. Darn.... :-)

**another note: The Glocks are starting to get jealous too...lol
Last edited by spyguy on June 19th, 2007, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

spyguy
spyguy

Looks like you may have gotten bitten by the P-64 bug ,you might want to sell those Glocks
I here you can buy 4 or 5 P-64's for the price one GLOCK (LOL)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

spyguy
spyguy

Looks like you may have gotten bitten by the P-64 bug ,you might want to sell those Glocks
I here you can buy 4 or 5 P-64's for the price one GLOCK (LOL)

NORM
Definitely been bitten, no question. I am really looking forward to #2 and beyond.

My Glocks however have repeatedly earned their spots in my shooting bags and that's where they'll stay. But Glocks are like belly buttons, everyone has one. So far I have yet to encounter a person locally that even knows what my P64 is, let alone what it shoots or how to field strip it. lol, the owner of Portland's most renowned gun shop even admitted he had no idea how to take one apart last week when I was in there shopping and looking at a Makarov that he had on the shelf.

I am definitely enamored with the uniqueness of this gun....