Safety dropping on while shooting

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Interesting, maybe you do need a new spring. If I take mine apart, I will try to measure the length of the spring in any event. I have since injured my (non-trigger) index finger, and have put off working on this since I expect it takes at least 10 healthy fingers to get it back together!
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Here's an update for my situation. I finally got around to taking the safety apart. One thing that stuck out was that the darn plunger is flat as a board. The photo shows the plunger in place (excuse the gunk) and the inset is the plunger/spring:

I don't think this is right. Any opinions? Do I just need a mondo spring, or should I grind it to more of a point? Anyone done this?

By the way, my spring is as Steve says, cut funny on the non-plunger end. The length is about 7/16 of an inch.

stib
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

STIB

Nice blow up of part there is suppose to be a small round point at the end of plunger end I guess you could file it down but then you'd need a longer spring if can you mike the the plunger I think I can turn one for you no charge

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 14th, 2006, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

NORM,

Thanks for the offer. I will first see if somehow filing or grinding more of a point will fix my problem. It will be hard to hold the little sucker to grind it though.

stib
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

This is just a thought about grinding the end. Instead of grinding to a point, I wonder if the end could be filed to more "round or domed" shape? This would hold the OA length and allow the pin to slide easily out of it's pocket in the safety lever. What do you guys think?
truth

Post by truth »

What's up with this safety problem I have read about here? Some came to you guys with a loose safety......The 1970 I got from SOG has a safety thats as tight as a bulls ass, I hope it stays that way. I would be afraid to change the spring that makes the clip drop just to make the double action something that it wasn't designed to be...It is what it is.....I really don't find the recoil offensive, or any sting or burn on my trigger finger as I have read about. The gun is a sweet little piece as is, I like it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

STIB

I just made this one its still on shaft that it was made from ,but this is what it supose to look like

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
truth

Post by truth »

WOW YOU ARE HELL ON A METAL LATHE!!!!!
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

This is just a thought about grinding the end. Instead of grinding to a point, I wonder if the end could be filed to more "round or domed" shape? This would hold the OA length and allow the pin to slide easily out of it's pocket in the safety lever. What do you guys think?
Yep, this is what I just did. I took a Dremel with a flat grinding stone, and just accentuated the existing angle a little more without taking anything off the length. In fact, it still has somewhat of a flat top, but er, smaller.

I got so excited to try it out, that I didn't take a picture. I was able to get it together pretty easy, even without the help of Mrs. stibnite, who was going to have the job of holding the firing pin. The safety now I am glad to say, is a completely different mechanism, with a crisp 'on' and 'off' now, no play what so ever. 8-)

Of course, a trip to the range will be the final test.

Now for the post mortem: Anybody have a guess how/why the plunger was so flattened, instead of rounded like it should have been? Can the cat's eyes be so sharp that they shaved it flat? Did the end of day whistle blow in the factory just at the wrong time?
???

stib

p.s. NORM, that looks great. Hopefully mine will hold out, maybe someone else will need one.
Last edited by stibnite on July 14th, 2006, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p64

Post by p64 »

Norm
Your springs and your machining, amazing!

Heck, maybe you should just build a p64.5
Last edited by p64 on July 15th, 2006, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Thanks guys for the complement's
my writing may not worth a FLIP but
I can almost do anything with my hands and 24 to 48 hour's to think about it

I did that plunger on a RED WING bench motor with a JACOB CHUCK on it ( a big drill chuck ) and a file and a piece of stainless steel rode don't have a metal lath , wish I did I could do a lot more things

THANK'S AGAIN

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 15th, 2006, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

STEVE
It was stainless steel rode a Friend gave me about 100 of these rodes about 35 years ago I have about 25 of them left I'm a bit of a pack rat
you can use a nail close to the diameter after done grinding on it hold over propane torch tell it glows red then drop in oil watch out for the flare up let cool do not do this with spring on it
any way that should harden the steel

the tip in the picture is to long it should fit just inside the hole in the safety bar and ride on the flat of the plunger

I did the pluger from memory thats why its off I know its bear trying to get back together and I didn't want to have to clean off my bench got to many projects going at one time
but i hope this helps

norm
Last edited by normsutton on July 17th, 2006, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks Norm!
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Hey P-64 bros -

I thought I would bring this topic up top again, here's a little update with my ongoing problem; to summarize, after rounding my plunger a little it felt good but the acid test was at the range where it started out good but still dropped while shooting as before... :'(

I've been pretty busy, but I filed this problem away until tonight. My plan was to take the safety apart on my (very functional 1972) other P-64 and compare the safety on each. I was somewhat hesitant to take apart my functional firearm, but curiosity has been building.

Well, after springs shooting around and a scare that I lost the firing pin (wear safety glasses!) I saw a pretty interesting difference. Here's a photo of the two plungers and springs:

The plungers look similar. To me, it looks like the 1975 version used a shorter, stouter spring. I think I need to replace it. (BTW, the 1972 spring fit into the 1975, I tried it).

I think I saw a reference to a misc spring kit that can be purchased online, anyone know what it is?

stib
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

STIBNITE

Yes I would say a new spring is in order here is the place

http://www.gunsprings.com/GenPurp/SemiAutoGPNF.html

here is I think is the part, should be the same

SEMI-AUTO PISTOL EXTRACTOR SPRING PAK
20 semiautomatic pistol extractor springs (short, radially installed types) made for immediate installation. 10 spring designs, 2 springs of each design. All springs have neatly squared ends (not ground) for proper extractor functioning. For use in many .25, .32 and .380 autos where extractors are actuated by coil springs. Solves many problem jobs.
Stock No. 16310.....$ 9.99

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage