Trigger polishing?(To Saands and any others)

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kirkcdl

Post by kirkcdl »

This mainly a question for Saands,but anybody else is welcome to throw in their experiences.
Saands-I did the hammer spring trade-off,and I am very happy with the results.However,I had a thought.If I could eliminate the "hitch" that remains in the DA pull,I'll probably bump the hammer spring to the 18# spring.I say this because although the SA trigger is sweet,when used in conjuction with the DA trigger,it is much too light.Basically,it's too much of a transition in terms of the difference in the two trigger pressures.I found it was difficult to avoid firing a SA second round prematurely after firing a DA first round.Any ideas?My gut feeling is that I could handle a little more DA in order to have a little more SA pressure.However,I feel it would be necessary to get the hitch out first as it seems to contribute greatly to the heavy DA pull.Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
raypol

Post by raypol »

Your problem with the automatic second round has more to do with lack of follow through with your trigger pull than light SA pull. If your finger stops when the gun fires rather than following through you can get a double tap. Some shooters practice doing that.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Also commonly referred to as "staging" the trigger. Regardless of the amount of over travel the trigger has (the 64 has about a mile of it), you should always follow through, just like justplainbill has said. It will greatly reduce, if not eliminate your accidental doubles. Let us know...
saands

Post by saands »

I agree that getting rid of the "hitch" at the end of the DA travel. Unfortunately, I haven't looked at that part of the design yet ::) but it sounds like something that I would be interested in, so maybe if I get some time, I'll investigate. My philosopy is to change things that I understand at an engineering level and leave well enough alone those that I don't. Trigger systems are often a LOT more complicated than springs, so I don't mess with them as a habit.

Saands
blsnelling

Post by blsnelling »

You can read my experiences here http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1133844409
I am not certain, but I think the hitch may be in the hammer rocking on the two notches of the rod the hammer spring is on.